'Er indoors wants some substantial shelves put up in the utility room for heavyish stuff like washing powder etc.

Yes, I DO know how to put up shelves, but here's the snag.

The room is made of brick with plasterboard on the inside. I can't tell if it's on battens or dabs of plaster, but I have managed to find the gap is about 1/2" between the p/board and brick.

If I mount direct to the plasterboard, it won't be able to take much weight, but if I drill through to the brick and use regular screws and plugs, surely when I tighten the screws up, it will pull the brackets through the plasterboard? Or is there some special gizmo you can buy nowadays for just this situation?

Thanks.

Sounds like its been drylined. (dot and dabbed) If its been done properly, it will be dry lining adhesive that its stuck on there with and its very strong. You should be able to put brackets on as long as you use long enough screws. What I'd do is get all the screws into place before tightening them up evenly so there isnt too much pressure on any one point of the plasterboard. Alternatively you could maybe look at some floor standing shelving depending on what you intend putting on them? Even the most 'heavy duty' of shelving aint really all that heavy duty. :thumbs:

Sounds like its been drylined. (dot and dabbed) If its been done properly, it will be dry lining adhesive that its stuck on there with and its very strong. You should be able to put brackets on as long as you use long enough screws. What I'd do is get all the screws into place before tightening them up evenly so there isnt too much pressure on any one point of the plasterboard. Alternatively you could maybe look at some floor standing shelving depending on what you intend putting on them? Even the most 'heavy duty' of shelving aint really all that heavy duty. :thumbs:

Cheers for that. Floor standing isn't an option as this will have to go over the washing machine and chest freezer. I'll give it a try like you say and maybe use 3" screws so they go at least 2" into the brick. And if it busts the plasterboard, it's your fault. :D

A good suggestion here : http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286719 :

Fixing into brickwork is going to be far stronger than into plasterboard. Drill the hole through the board and into the wall, then squirt some no nails into it and push a rawlpug into place, and leave overnight for the glue to set.

You want to make sure that you use enough glue so that when it sets it will pack out the gap between the brickwork and the plaster so that when you tighten the screw it doesn't bend the plasteeboard backwards and create a crack.
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...