• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well.... it appears that magnumtrap are now the most competitive for talpex.

This for me, is nearly as rare as hens teeth, but very occasionally get excited when the talpa has finally sprung   .

So am I. But I've not been able to achieve anything over 50% with them. Good job I'm a Putange God and Duffus Wizard or I'd be skint

Posted Images

I am at a loss to understand how you could be getting empty traps if sprung ... :huh:

So am I. But I've not been able to achieve anything over 50% with them. Good job I'm a Putange God and Duffus Wizard or I'd be skint :laugh:

• Like 1

Beats me why folk are struggling with the talpex it's a piece of piss to set. May be they aint locating them correctly?

for every duffus in my bag I carry 5 talpex to compensate for winding runs and bang it straight down the hill.85 swinging on the fence as I type.

See to be honest, if your keen, i believe you can improve your capture rate,with any of lets say,the half-dozen modern types of mole trap, that are in popular use..All it takes is 'perseverance', with the chosen one , you struggle with.A year (or is it two) ago, i would have never envisaged me using these 'traplines' exclusively,...nor would i have ever thought i could match the same 'capture rate', i did with the 'half-barrels',...lol,....but i am now,with them ? I started to get better results with them, through my own 'trial & error',....then got a bit more help & encouragement, off another member on here,....."Talpa", actually (hope you dont mind me saying mate) lol Theres alot of good guys on here, who are genuinely helpful,all round.Another one i would like to thank publicly, is "Moxy", who kindly helped me out, regarding another matter,before,.....lol

:laugh: Earth thrower. Give over man.

I see the talpex as a last resort trap. Foolproof if you like.

Last resort as the big gunner of the arsenal. Get a trap shy mole. A plugger. A digger arounder. A cost you more visits than neededer!!

Then the swine gets a talpex thrown in. Job done.

They are a very handy trap. Indeed.

Why not use them all the time if they are that good?

:laugh: Earth thrower. Give over man.

I see the talpex as a last resort trap. Foolproof if you like.

Last resort as the big gunner of the arsenal. Get a trap shy mole. A plugger. A digger arounder. A cost you more visits than neededer!!

Then the swine gets a talpex thrown in. Job done.

They are a very handy trap. Indeed.

Why not use them all the time if they are that good

ha ha, who you kidding, mate ? If my instincts are right here, a man of your 'capabilities' WONT need to be puting out many 'talpex',....for the reasons, you describe ? he he

"Capabilities" !! Im only as good as the next man. I'm not a witch doctor. I don't practice black magic and I don't pretend.

I have to catch "whatever method practicable" to pay the bills and feed my kids. As I'm sure many others do the same. I've made my bed.

If the trap your using ain't catching. Then there's a problem.

9/10 times!! Feck!! I'd be changing my name from mole control to....................??

I agree that in order to improve the catch rate you need to use them more often and learn from the experiences. Most of the time the soil isn't right for Talpex. Too many stones or too claggy. I'd like to see the "Piece of Piss" merchant set a Talpex in the builder's rubble type of soil found out here in the wine growing regions. Or the heavy clay type soil of my local area. So they only get used a small part of the time in gardens and weather conditions that suit. I never use them exclusively, always back them up with one or both of the other type of trap I use. It frustrates me to Hell that I find Talpex sprung and empty. I can understand why they can dig through the trap if the soil is too wet to drop in, but I still can't fathom out how they can fail to lift the trigger when the soil is falling in as they excavate. Most of the successes come when I set the trap on its side so the trigger is aligned to the side wall. But in deep runs or where there are obstacles that isn't always possible.