• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watch out for mites at this time of year Ladies & Gentlemen! They can be a real problem, causing sluggishness, drop in eggs, real uncomfortable for bird's, and even death! Check out there sleepi

If people piss you off Nicole, do you jump up and headbutt them in the knee cap ? Ive got a short mate. He`s well angry.   I was at my wits end with the mites, I even tried smoking them out. I li

Hi everyone, I use real creosote not the stuff you buy in homebase or B&Q. You can buy it from scats or mole as its called now. The good thing about creosote is that when you paint it on the sheds

Can you still get duramitex I thought they stopped it

They changed it. The stuff they sell now is absolutely crap but I bought some proper stuff off a lad on here and it's good stuff and worth buying if he still has any.

gnipper you got it from me i still have the old stuff if any you lads need any like gnipper said not available anymore but still have around 30 bottles of the old stuff if anyone requires any in date til 2017

I FCUKING HATE MITES. They are the main reason I got rid of the birds. The amount of time and money I spent trying to get rid of them is unbelievable, from treatments, pour on`s, various dusts, ficam w, blowtorch, then new smaller sheds all 18mm ply built, then proper creosote, then creosote mixed with oil(straight on top of my lovely brand new coop and paint job)... All my birds were in big sheds so it wasnt a 10 minute job. It was a total walk in in boxers and paper suit job in the two big hen houses.

Nope, I`d never get that many birds again. Anyone ever had to climb in to a large coop, thats not quite large enough for a 5.11 bloke to climb into full of mites? Sweating your bollocks off in a confined space with a blowtorch and then creosoting, with mites crawling all over your face wasnt fun.

all my days I've hated being so bloody small........

Now I'm glad :laugh:

• Like 1

If people piss you off Nicole, do you jump up and headbutt them in the knee cap ? :laugh: Ive got a short mate. He`s well angry.

I was at my wits end with the mites, I even tried smoking them out. I lit straw in the cleaned out nest boxes and a pan of straw and sawdust in the roosting area, the after the initial fire goes out and it was just smoldering I would then shut the hatches up and hot box it :laugh:

I dont know if it helped, but I couldnt have hurt. I must stress, there were no hens in there at the time...

• Like 2

If people piss you off Nicole, do you jump up and headbutt them in the knee cap ? :laugh: Ive got a short mate. He`s well angry.

I was at my wits end with the mites, I even tried smoking them out. I lit straw in the cleaned out nest boxes and a pan of straw and sawdust in the roosting area, the after the initial fire goes out and it was just smoldering I would then shut the hatches up and hot box it :laugh:

I dont know if it helped, but I couldnt have hurt. I must stress, there were no hens in there at the time...

:laugh: :laugh: I'm known to be hot headed but not yet head butted any knee caps.......... YET :D but I'd be the right height for it :laugh:
  • Like 2

Can you still get duramitex I thought they stopped it

They changed it. The stuff they sell now is absolutely crap but I bought some proper stuff off a lad on here and it's good stuff and worth buying if he still has any.

gnipper you got it from me i still have the old stuff if any you lads need any like gnipper said not available anymore but still have around 30 bottles of the old stuff if anyone requires any in date til 2017
I know it was you mate I just didn't want to get you a load of pm's ;)

Horrible Bob that :-).

Few lessons learned by us all after time eh.

They key is, not to give them hiding places. Any new housing I make are sealed with silicone. Plastic nest boxes etc.

Spray the housing regular, making sure you get any new hatching out.

I think it's a case of control, as opposed to eliminate. Don't think you will ever eliminate, control so there is not an infestation imo.

Free range bird's do better, constantly dust bathing.

I am going to make some dust baths out of used cattle mineral lick tubs, and add some fine silver sand, and wood ash + powder., cover in bad weather.

What do you think of that?

• Like 1

Yup. I had wood ash dust baths, ash mixed with diatom baths. I just think I had too much on, with family life, other pursuits and the dogs. Spose thats what happens when the nipper sweet talks you into rescueing that years school chicks. I might have got somewhere if it was a full time job. Nope, just a few this time round, one small easy to clean coop, a few birds and an aggressive cleaning schedule.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I use real creosote not the stuff you buy in homebase or B&Q. You can buy it from scats or mole as its called now. The good thing about creosote is that when you paint it on the sheds inside and out, through the summer months the sun shines on the shed and it brings the creosote to life again. I paint my sheds early spring ready for breeding season and then paint the perches 3 or 4 times through the summer and just leave them in the sun to dry. This seems to keep them at bay ,I've bought all the crap the sell for mites and I can't get on with it, creosote works for me every time for me. I have fancied using a blow torch but never got round to it. I think it would work though.?

• Like 2