Weapon Of Choice

A halfx collie/grey. He's been out with me from 12 weeks and he's 18 months now but still puppyish on occasions.

To be honest I still don't know whether he's going to be any good, there have been occasions when I was very close to laying the shovel over his napper.

My old dog knows the ferreting game but turns bunnys into soup so I had the pup in the hope I could get a gentler mouthed dog, which he is. Only trouble was he was so gentle to begin with rabbits were escaping the nets, and I'd be left with steam coming out of my ears. The last few outings though he held them well so we're getting there and a couple of months ago he ran a bolter across a lane and up a hill before catching it, then came back to me with the unmarked rabbit and placed it in my hand in full view of a very impressed farmer as if he'd done it loads of times before.

• Like 3

If it's marking and holding in a net then any dog with a decent amount of prey drive will learn to do it on the Chase bolting no nets get a whippet and I'm a man who has had lurchers for 20 years of course a lurcher will do more than just ferret got a bit more scope

• Like 1

we like a dog with a bit of brains if poss. . .many crosses fit the types...But personally I think collie needs to be a major part of its make -up.

Its the old line of horses for courses up and down the country we all have types to suit our particular land on which we hunt.