So its my birthday wednesday and I've plucked up the courage to splash out on a brand new .22lr. Anschutz 1417 thumbhole.

£800!!!!! disgusting feeling, forking out that much for a 22 rimfire i know, but i wanted a gun that will continue to produce the goods for years, also its a very good looking gun.

What are your thoughts on glass that would do the gun justice? (needs to have a parallax for my nv monocle) don't want to just throw a nasty scope on her.

Also is there any way of getting a wildcat whisper on it? as its got a 14 inch barrel I've heard the whisper won't fit as it hits the stock.

i don't mind putting on a mod that doesn't slip over the barrel but having a 14 inch barrel id like to keep it as short as possible.

Is shaving some wood off the front of the stock insane? :hmm:

Cheers lads, Rifleman.

Oh yeah, pics will follow tomorrow when she's got all the trimmings on. :thumbs:

Edited by Rifleman88
  • Like 1

Cutting some off the front of the stock is not insane. It's your rifle, you can do what you want with it !

I thought of doing the same with mine and fitting a horn end cap to finish it off.

The Swift Precision Stumpy moderator is very short and works well on mine.

Edited by Cedric

A CZ at half the price will continue to produce the goods for years. No need to make excuses for buying a gun you fancy! :laugh::thumbs:

Why the 14" barrel specifically? Why are you trying to keep this very short, there are plenty of Better, and often much cheaper mods than a Whisper,

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

I have to agree with Deker here. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

However, as you've already purchased, take a look at Boyds if you want a stock change. $99 can get you a replacement stock with a finish that you'd only see on a gun normally at many times the price of the Anshultz: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/. That said, as most are made to fit the guns they're destined for, you'll probably find the overall length the same. I'm unsure if there are custom length / design options within the export limit ($99).

In any case, personally, I wouldn't shorten the stock. You may have difficulty getting the finish / shape to match the rest of the stock unless you're good with wood.

Buy a moderator that fits, change the stock if you want via Boyds & your local gunsmith, but do it for aethetics or handling preference, not moderator fitment.

So far as glass is concerned several times a year retailers such as Sportsman Gun Centre have a model clearout and you can usually pick up a Nikon or Zeiss with a substancial discount, sometimes even 1/2 price.

Edited by Alsone

Don't chop the stock! You'll regret it.

The whisper is a well made piece of kit, I had one on a (long gone) HMR, but if it don't fit the Anschutz get something else, there are plenty

of high end mod's around.

The good old SAK is cheap and cheerful but works a treat, but you want something 'posher I expect, the Sako is very good if you can get

one I think they are sold under the Finnish brand name of Viame (pronounced Vi a me) much bigger than the Whisper, made of aluminium with

plastic baffles, but mine is super quiet, and it's strippable. AF

A CZ at half the price will continue to produce the goods for years. No need to make excuses for buying a gun you fancy! :laugh::thumbs:

Why the 12" barrel specifically? Why are you trying to keep this very short, there are plenty of Better, and often much cheaper mods than a Whisper,

i'd like to keep it short for passing around in the land rover without muzzling my mate, also for walking through woods ect,

I've got this rifle and I wouldn't dream of hacking up the stock. The guns totally handleable as its short enough with any rimfire mod on ii.

Don't chop the stock! You'll regret it.

The whisper is a well made piece of kit, I had one on a (long gone) HMR, but if it don't fit the Anschutz get something else, there are plenty

of high end mod's around.

Totally agree :thumbs:

cheers guys, confirmed what i was thinking. I've heard good things about the whisper and i like the look but i didn't splash out on a t/h stock to cut it down. I was thinking about the cz 455 t/h which looks pretty but i was afraid i would regret not buying the anschutz :laugh:

As for glass I'm thinking maybe a hawk sidewinder or mtc viper as i need the parallax option, even if the mag is a bit overkill.

:thumbs:

The Sako mod is good in my opinion, certainly just has the edge on the Sirocco and Sak, about the same price as a Sirocco, but not a lot of use to you if you want to keep things short.

post-10759-0-78125800-1430563065_thumb.jpg

Sako Sirocco SAK

Edited by Deker

Put a Nikon prostaff on it, not some cheap mtc crap or mediocre Hawk, around the same money, and light years ahead in terms of clarity and build quality, trust me you wont regret buying any Nikon scope, and as for moderators, its a .22 mate, any of them will do a good job, I have a Parker Hale on my CZ 511 and it is virtually silent.

• Like 2

Put a Nikon prostaff on it, not some cheap mtc crap or mediocre Hawk, around the same money, and light years ahead in terms of clarity and build quality, trust me you wont regret buying any Nikon scope, and as for moderators, its a .22 mate, any of them will do a good job, I have a Parker Hale on my CZ 511 and it is virtually silent.

As long as it's to be used for sub sonic ammo, nobody can really argue with that, the difference is marginally more pronounced with HV ammo, but I still wouldn't lose any sleep trying to find the quietest.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Indeed Deker, or I might add waste a lot of money either :yes:

We are back to SAK then! :laugh::thumbs:

They really have got a little gem in that mod, but if over barrel, and length is REALLY important, then someone will have to spend a lot to save the odd inch or two, or should I say 25-50mm?!

Why the 12" barrel specifically? Why are you trying to keep this very short, there are plenty of Better, and often much cheaper mods than a Whisper,

i'd like to keep it short for passing around in the land rover without muzzling my mate, also for walking through woods ect,

Just be careful with the balance, I had a WMR cut to about 15.5" and I never felt comfortable with it, my new one I had cut to about 19", even with a mod that feels nicely balanced to me.

Each to their own.

ATB!