Now that the weather has got a bit warmer, I have been out the shed having a play making a few sticks. The crook one is a leg cleek in Oak on a Hazel shank and I tried a Herons head in Oak, but it has not come out as well as I thought it would. It looked fine when carving it, but once I put it on a shank I could see that it was not right. The beak should have been pointing down. We live and learn.

The small one is an antler thumb stick for the granddaughter.

three%20sticks%20005_zps5lgl42nv.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 5

Nice work tiercel. If you happen across a blackthorn knob stick let me know I'm after one for the wife's grandfather. Cheers Joe

http://www.thestickman.co.uk/knob.htm I think he`s got one. Not cheap though and I`d rather find my own. Looking for one myself, but the sap is up now so it`ll be end of autumn now for me to pick one.

Nice work tiercel. If you happen across a blackthorn knob stick let me know I'm after one for the wife's grandfather. Cheers Joe

http://www.thestickman.co.uk/knob.htm I think he`s got one. Not cheap though and I`d rather find my own. Looking for one myself, but the sap is up now so it`ll be end of autumn now for me to pick one.

Bob, if you see one you fancy cut it. It will still be seasoned before any you cut next winter. Sticks cut with the sap up take about 6 months longer to season. To get a blackthorn knob stick you have to cut saplings with part of the root ball thats what makes the knob.

TC

What length is the leg cleek? Is it fit for use or is it more of a show piece?

It is just a show piece, the mouth where you would pull it into the leg is too wide. It was made like that on purpose to allow my hand to grasp the shaft, the inside radius at the top of the cleek is about right, the diameter of an old penny . That said it would probably do the job at a push being made of Oak it is certainly strong enough.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Bob, if you see one you fancy cut it. It will still be seasoned before any you cut next winter. Sticks cut with the sap up take about 6 months longer to season. To get a blackthorn knob stick you have to cut saplings with part of the root ball thats what makes the knob.

TC

Yeah I know about the root ball handle, my gramps had one. Basically a long shillelagh? He was always really vague about it though..

With the sap, up wont it make a weaker stick as the rings are swollen compared to a winter stick with nice tight rings?

I got a nice Holly knob stick here I was given. Needs refinishing though. You wanna see the sanding lines the old boy left in when he varnished it.

Bob, all sticks contain some moisture, thats why they have to be dried. When they season all sticks shrink, and the more the moisture content in the stick the more it shrinks and the longer it takes. But once they have seasoned properly there is no difference between winter and summer cut sticks.

TC

• Like 1

What length is the leg cleek? Is it fit for use or is it more of a show piece?

It is just a show piece, the mouth where you would pull it into the leg is too wide. It was made like that on purpose to allow my hand to grasp the shaft, the inside radius at the top of the cleek is about right, the diameter of an old penny . That said it would probably do the job at a push being made of Oak it is certainly strong enough.

TC

It's a nice piece none the less. Do you ever make shepards crooks?

I seen two yesterday that I have an eye on, they have potential. It might take a little bribe, but I am hoping the landowner is up for one.

TC