Never shot one myself since I was a kid but if you can hit what you want to hit and put a decent dent in a bean tin at the right range, then it should be enough for woodies and doves.

The trick is just being accurate enough to hit the right spot and confident it sends the ammo with enough force. If you can get that sussed it'll be fine. plenty of game has fallen to black widows over the years.

There are reasons people tend to stray from the barnetts though. The bands are heavy draw and not too snappy. The armrest you don't need but I suppose you could take it off, or buy the strike 9. The black widow isnt really pocketable. You can also get much better for a similar price. If none of this bothers you then as said, you can take game with it. You could have a scan on ebay for a multiplex or hdpe catty with flats or dankung tubes which will shoot faster and wont cost the earth. You would also have more options on how you hold the catty.

Hope this helps. Atb

As I said before, there are reasons people stray away from them but at the end of the day, any catty frame is just something to stick your bands to. I like shooting flats, whatever it is if I can attach some theraband to it I know ill be able to shoot it. You will get on better with some frames than others but the bands are important. The standard Barnett bands are not the best, but they do work. Atb

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently re-visitng using one at the moment. I don't like the band-set and pouch that they come with, better suited to lead than steel.

Am trying different tubes - Theraband red and green...I may modify the forks to facilitate looping the tubes on; it's possible to create a tapered effect like that and increase the power.

I'm only looking to shoot at 200 - 250 fps (good enough for targets and small game) so am not too worried about the extra speed and power associated with flat bands. It's early days though.