Wont Be Long Now

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait myself ,just bought some savage gear sandeels

Though I've been fishing nearly my whole life I'm new to sea fishing. Had a crack at the bass last summer using Savage Gear sandeels 'cos someone recommended them to me and caught 3 in the space of 15 mins, best of which was just under 5lb :thumbs:

• Like 5

good going that krawnden, i love to fish live eels/mackeral/prawns ive done years on the peeler crab i travel light as possible now ,the locals say crab untill june then the fish start looking uptowards baitfish , i use plugs year round , rag crab lug anything will catch them its just being in the right place at the right times ,sometimes they are suicidal & ive seen them caught on feathers & small pirks spinners can be lethal

would been cracking tide today for collecting the razors but unfortunately never had the time to get down there

Bass fishing can really get the adrenaline going at times. Obviously hours of nothing lol then all of sudden it can go bit mad

Once you know a spot you can tune in to the times they come through then the anticipation rises as you know some thing could happen any second even though some times it doesnt lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

good going that krawnden, i love to fish live eels/mackeral/prawns ive done years on the peeler crab i travel light as possible now ,the locals say crab untill june then the fish start looking uptowards baitfish , i use plugs year round , rag crab lug anything will catch them its just being in the right place at the right times ,sometimes they are suicidal & ive seen them caught on feathers & small pirks spinners can be lethal

There's a good reason why they say fish crab until June. Male crabs will start moulting any time from now on reaching a peak around the beginning to the middle of April then tailing off, by the middle of may they have just about finished. Once the cocks have finished moulting the hens then start moulting once the water has reached the right temperature. The hen flush is usually over in about month with the middle of June being the best time. Which happens to coincide with the Bass finishing spawning and turning their attention away from sex and on to food.

Crab are then the most plentiful food so the Bass target them until the moult slows down. Then they go looking for the next best food source and a lot of fish move offshore to feed on the shoals of whitebait that are just starting to appear. That said, it is only a rough guide as I have caught bass on crab from February through to November from the shore and boat.

TC

• Like 5

There's a good reason why they say fish crab until June. Male crabs will start moulting any time from now on reaching a peak around the beginning to the middle of April then tailing off, by the middle of may they have just about finished. Once the cocks have finished moulting the hens then start moulting once the water has reached the right temperature. The hen flush is usually over in about month with the middle of June being the best time. Which happens to coincide with the Bass finishing spawning and turning their attention away from sex and on to food.

Crab are then the most plentiful food so the Bass target them until the moult slows down. Then they go looking for the next best food source and a lot of fish move offshore to feed on the shoals of whitebait that are just starting to appear. That said, it is only a rough guide as I have caught bass on crab from February through to November from the shore and boat.

TC

well said TC all good sound advise .......then theres the live prawns at night ;):laugh:

..then theres the live prawns at night ;):laugh:

I fished for Bass as a living for 15 years during the summer, winters were spent pumping black lug. It's a hard life and you do pay for it later in life the constant banging of the dory plays hell with your back. I could not even guess how many bass I caught in that time, but never caught one on prawn, I have had them on the fly, worm, crab, live Mackerel almost any type of lure. But never had a fish on a prawn, in fact never even tried it. :icon_redface:

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1