Going Back To .22

i started with .22,went on to purchase .177 for HFT :laugh:

i currently own .177 & .22

for me its about shot placement,your quarry is not going to be bothered which calibre you are using :laugh:

as long as its in the right place :thumbs:

I agree it is about shot placement but out to 40 yards max I don't think there is any need for .177 in my opinion

Hmm. The thing is that both calibre's are as good as each other. A cracked record here but it really is a preference thing. End of this bloody calibre story :)

A lot of the air gunners on here, I guarantee, will have both calibre's a in the cabinet. It's part of the joy of ownership and shooting.

The need will come mate when your down at the peg, and find that the heavier 22 will not pass through the crate or the gap in the logs to hit the kill zone for the point or two. Most courses are set well, but not all pegs are possible with the looping trajectory. That's THE only downside to the 22. Any hunting application, it will and has set the standard for years.

Atb.

• Like 2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like we are winding back to the (endless) .22 versus .177 debate but, there are good reasons to add to the debates.   With me, it's been a case of .22 then gone to .177 and back to .22 . Both

It is a good topic mate I agree, I too grew up in the .22 is king era, and have had my fair share some good, some very good, (bsf b55 Bavaria) some not so good, but then reading Airgun world, and bein

Oooooooowwwwwwaaaaa. The 177 lovers are gonna bend you over now Simon

i started with .22,went on to purchase .177 for HFT :laugh:

i currently own .177 & .22

for me its about shot placement,your quarry is not going to be bothered which calibre you are using :laugh:

as long as its in the right place :thumbs:

I agree it is about shot placement but out to 40 yards max I don't think there is any need for .177 in my opinion

Hmm. The thing is that both calibre's are as good as each other. A cracked record here but it really is a preference thing. End of this bloody calibre story :)

A lot of the air gunners on here, I guarantee, will have both calibre's a in the cabinet. It's part of the joy of ownership and shooting.

The need will come mate when your down at the peg, and find that the heavier 22 will not pass through the crate or the gap in the logs to hit the kill zone for the point or two. Most courses are set well, but not all pegs are possible with the looping trajectory. That's

THE only downside to the 22. Any hunting application, it will and has set the standard for years.

Atb.

I will only be using it for hunting so no worrys about ft/hft

Well here`s my two pennies worth. :hmm:

I use two pcp`s the HW 100`s, one in .22, one in .177.

I ALWAYS tend to reach for the .177 first, the .22 doesn`t see half the shooting my .177 does, reason being i shoot sitty trees a lot and "thread" shots through branches. The flat trajectory of .177 makes for very accurate, controlled shooting through trees and their branches.

Now then .22 ? quite simply put, i find .22 just as accurate as .177 on "open land" if you know your milldots !! If you try to thread .22 through many branches /twigs etc the trajectory will let you down not accuracy.

.22 has many good uses but i really am converted to .177 from 40 years of .22.

If shot in the head or heart lungs with .177, .20 , .22, .25, 303 bullet, or a cannon ball - which calibre fails to kill a rabbit, crow, magpie, rat, etc, etc , - "the one that misses" !!!

atb

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 2