Got to my favourite permission lastnight for a spot of lamping . This perm is very large and very spread out. Soon as we got out the van we heard a fox barking. Quick scan found it. Noticed it was barking and jumping about wild. At this point it was to far too shoot so had a walk over. As i got closer i realised it was caught in a bloddy snare. Put the poor thing out its misery then had a closer look. It was caught in the worst make ahift snare i have ever see just a bit of wire wrapped round rhe wire fence that had been bent back on itself to make a loop. What pissed me off even more was that it had snowed on friday and there were no foot prints near the snare last night so these hadnt been checked for at leaat four days. Had to spend the rest of the night goimg round untangling these shite "snares" from the fences. I will say to the farmer but this is on land he hardly uses miles away from hia farm housw so i doubt he will ever keep an eye on it. Will have to just hope i catch who evers doing it.

• Like 1

Honestly livid. Dont mind folk snaring if thats thier thing but at least use proper snares and check them regularly. As much as i enjoy what i do shooting i dont want to see any animal suffer unnecessarily. Im working today my old mans going a walk round with the dog to take a look for any more.

Cheers pt

• Like 3

As you say, I have no problem with snares, I have used them myself, but for f*cks sake check the damn things at least once a day, out of interest, what do you think the person is snaring them for, do you think he is selling the fur, sounds a bit strange to go and snare foxes in a remote area, where presumably you dont have permission/gamebirds?

Honestly livid. Dont mind folk snaring if thats thier thing but at least use proper snares and check them regularly. As much as i enjoy what i do shooting i dont want to see any animal suffer unnecessarily. Im working today my old mans going a walk round with the dog to take a look for any more.

Cheers pt

Seems a bit strange to me, are you sure this is nothing to do with the farmer/owner?

Who's thing is snaring, especially poaching/snaring ...... and then not checking? This is not a widespread pastime in my part of the world?

Just seems to have the odd question mark to me.

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Defo not the farmer. The fact that they were so badly made makes me think ita just some idiot whos thoughtbit was a good idea at the time then couldnt be bothered going back. A few times iv seen a few jakies and the likes sitting round fires in the woods amd once caught a guy poaching the ground with an air rifle. Doubt unless i catch them at it ill ever know who it was

I ain't saying its right but maybe some local kids ??

I badly set fence snares as a kid - I knew no better..

I also caught feck all .

I had plenty knocks and someone lifted them all in the end.

Edited by Giro
  • Like 1

Just spoke to my old man and he went up a walk amd lifted another 10 - 15. Never thought about it but theres a camp of gypos not to far away maybe 1-2 mile down the road it backs onto and we have seen them walkimg their dogs before. Also seen a few badgers from time to time. Not accusing anybody just a thought