First Mink Vs Muskrat Footage I've Ever Caught On Film!

Quaity mate .Do you hand rear them or wild catch ?

I've had just about every option you can think of. From bottle raised kits, to young weaned kits, to young adults, to older adults. Some from farms, some from the wild, and some from people who tried to train them but couldn't.

So far I've only ran into one mink I couldn't get trained, and she was bottle raised by a lady who thought she was a ferret. By the time she realized it was a mink and not a ferret, the mink was mostly grown and far too bonded to the lady to transition to liking me. It is common for bottle raised mink to bond to only one or two people, and hate everyone else. We call mink like this "exclusive" because they only like one person. Mink who were raised by their natural mother are almost never exclusive, and once tame they like just about everyone the same.

Excellent mate.do you use mink all the time not bother with ferrets

Here in America we don't have enough soft game for ferrets. Our rabbits don't dig warrens like European rabbits do, and so the only time they are living in a hole is when they find an abandoned hole dug by some other animal. Most of what we hunt would tear the average ferret apart. I'm sure a good aggressive ferret could handle hunting brown rats, but we also hunt much larger and more aggressive game like muskrats

0255843_10201901655089134_10252853328615

IMGP1377_zpsff3ade64.jpg

Not only are muskrat much bigger and more aggressive than brown rats, they also have teeth that are proportionately larger, being more similar to beaver teeth than brown rat teeth! It would be pretty difficult to find a ferret that can handle these beasts on a regular basis!

We also like to hunt a species of ground squirrel called "rock squirrels"

These guys are a little too much for most ferrets, and way too fast.

So to answer your question, no I don't mess with ferrets. They don't work well for most of the hunting we like to do with our mink.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 1

Are the mink hand tame mate.

Yep, my mink are very tame.

I got this mink when she was 36 days old, and bottle raised her...

But of course you would expect a bottle raised mink to be hand tame.... this one was captured from the wild as an adult just a couple months before this video was filmed!

Wow, fair old scrap that. Do you also use male mink too ?

Yes I do. I have tried to work with really big male ranch mink like this one...

(If you don't want to watch the entire video, skip to the end where I am feeding him. Then you can get a good idea of how big he is!)

But I prefer to hunt with smaller male wild mink, like this one....

I prefer to hunt with a smaller mink, so they can fit down brown rat holes. My ideal mink is small enough to fit down a brown rat hole, but big enough to wrestle down a large muskrat or rabbit. Honestly a really small male is my favorite, but since most ranch males end up way too big, and I don't get to hunt with very many wild mink, I typically stick to working with female mink.

Yet again.first class post been in the game for over 40years

Never seen any thing like that. They still seem to have retained there

Natural hunting instinct. Fast and furious.

Nice to see the wife taking part.not many women brave enough to

Pick them bad boys up.that is mink and rats.

Keep em coming

Cheers

• Like 2