Knowing When The Time Is Right?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well as long as it eating, and goes for a piss+ shit no prob , just let her carry on . if she wasn't doing what I said and in pain if you touched her anywhere, then maybe a one way trip to vet . I

fair enough mate, each to his own . Do you keep the dogs as hobby =sport, or earn a living of them sell what they catch .? I know few lads use there dogs for a living, I never have I worked at lo

Like said before, each to their own but if a dog gave me its life and trusted me with it, to betray it when it has no use? Im to weak for that

If they work hard for you in my opinion you should work hard for them feck kennel space it gave its all so should you I read somewhere work em hard treat em like hero's just my opinion

Don,t be so naive,at times the best of dog men and women know whats best for them and their charges,sentiment gets in the way of reality.Its harder to be hard than naive.
Like said before, each to their own but if a dog gave me its life and trusted me with it, to betray it when it has no use? Im to weak for that
  • Like 4

If they work hard for you in my opinion you should work hard for them feck kennel space it gave its all so should you I read somewhere work em hard treat em like hero's just my opinion

Don,t be so naive,at times the best of dog men and women know whats best for them and their charges,sentiment gets in the way of reality.Its harder to be hard than naive.
if it's sick or badly injured ok needs to be done but just to old to work as was implied for me no mate not ever just not that way as for kennel room just start the new one in the house

I like posts such as this,its not about weakness and betrayal.in my lifetime with working jukels id have to own a 300yd garden to fit in the runs and kennels to accomadate my retired hunting companions,age was oft the least of reasons for retirement,ive an honest bitch here now thats lost an eye,sentiment as prolonged her life with me when id not have taken that route a few years ago,ive softened and lost focus.Im at a stage now where id never have made that mistake,yes its a mistake because that usefull mutt is no longer useful and is taking up kennel space and time that would better befit her progeny that i also kennel.I took her mother for her last walk and it mullered me for months,ive tried to find her a decent retirement home,in the next few weeks ill take her for her last walk and it will cripple my resolve for owning a mutt,my dog my respnsibility and i hate every second of it at times.

do you KNOW this works first hand experience ?

Yes mate give it to my bitch - used to be like cardboard after a hard shift used that and shes fine..

Mines Ten Retired - give that regular and dogs bouncing looks like it could do a shift..

• Like 1

The dog in question has never been a working dog as such she was used as a house guard when I was in the forces and away from the house/ mrs a lot. Can't fault her at guarding and she still will guard, problem being by the time she would have gotten out of her bed any robbers would have loaded the van and been half way down the m6. Sure she will be with us for a while yet as she is a tough cookie no question about that. Just always a concern when they are tough whether they are in pain if that makes sense. Had other dogs that would limp with a feather stuck to there leg atb

what breed is it mate, gsd, rottie, ? as I know both these breeds , age quick, and have bad hips (HD) my young dog Buck 1x Alsatian x grey , he very powerful, fit + agile dog, but that's down to him being 1/2 greyhound. vet said he be 100 times more healthy compared to pure gsd . mind you he (not) got the temp of gsd he soft as shit , he prob picked up the greyhound temp and not the gsd so he no guard dog lol, he loves people + dogs .

It's a bouvier des Flandres bird generally a healthy breed but as you probably know big heavy dogs often don't make double figures age wise. In truth I have done slog of running with the dog in the past, she would regularly do 10-15 miles with me, not really the best idea with a heavy breed but she enjoyed it at the time perhaps paying the price now though. Going to look into a few suggestions and see if they help cheers

If it's just arthritis, there are meds to buy you some time. Tramadol for pain, and Rimadyl for inflamation, are two common ones. Tramadol is pretty cheap over here, but Rimadyl is costly. I'm giving these to my old gun dog. He's had a hard life, and it shows.

Good luck whatever you decide.

well as long as it eating, and goes for a piss+ shit no prob , just let her carry on . if she wasn't doing what I said and in pain if you touched her anywhere, then maybe a one way trip to vet . I had a bitch lurcher 14 years until she died (heart attack ) , when she got to about 11 she decided how much walk she wanted, that's ok we all going to get old one day lol , I am 3/4 of the way there now . :laugh:

Not long till trigger takes you for that last walk ray,,,,be very afraid if he turns up with a 4.10 and a spade,,,,lol

• Like 1

do you KNOW this works first hand experience ?

Yes mate give it to my bitch - used to be like cardboard after a hard shift used that and shes fine..

Mines Ten Retired - give that regular and dogs bouncing looks like it could do a shift..

how much of it do you give them giro sorry for kidnapping post lol