Advice Needed

I bought a lurcher pup about a month ago it's 5 month old now deer/grey collie/ saluki.Its been nervous since I had him like he's been whacked or summat.He was alright when I went to look at them he was with a litter sister and looked happy enough.He's fine when with my lab but as soon as I try doing anything with him like teaching him to sit or something it all goes wrong he'll just run off. Silly things like walkin past him quick or reachin down to stroke him too fast and he squeals like a pig thinkin I'm gonna hit him.i've never hit him and I've tried all kinds of things to get him to bond with me but it's just not working.... Is he ruined?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a matter of trust , just go about your normal business in a calculated , manner, dont make sudden movements or gestures towards the dog and if your mood is a bit off, stay away from the dog, the m

This bitch was very timid. When I went to get her from Llandudno the bloak mark showed me her jump sit stay and all the rest of it n she seemed sound. When the money changed hands and I went to grab t

I strongly advise that you see a really good professional who can teach you how to 'read' the pup. If you don't have a whole heap of experience with timid or damaged dogs then you may stay stuck in a

Posted Images

You may have your work cut out..

The things you're trying are right in theory but they're not working out for you both..

Let him come to you on his terms - be relaxed..

Ignore the dog and gentle praise - tip bits when he does come to you..

I have two saluki crosses ones the preferable nightmare - the other a absolute treat..

You cant force these types when there nervous and they pick up on your frustration its just not going to work, walk away..

• Like 2

This bitch was very timid. When I went to get her from Llandudno the bloak mark showed me her jump sit stay and all the rest of it n she seemed sound. When the money changed hands and I went to grab the lead she coward! I thought he must of hit her or something. Anyway, I had that bitch 11.5 yrs and the whole time she was like that, she would come to me only and anyone go near Her or sudden movements she try her best to get away. But in the field she was a different dog, any one could hold her on the slip and she'd be fine. I got with my mrs not long after I got bella and she was still timid around her Til the day she was put down even though she was around her daily. So it wasn't the blocks fault like o first thought, it was just the way she was . The best dog I've ever owned and I think will ever of owned . Atb HH

post-31305-0-29027400-1420755588.jpg

• Like 4

ALRIGHT PAL .

AFEW VISITS TO THE RAILWAY STATION FOR YOU BOTH.

POCKET FULL OF TREATS AND AND ALOT OF PATIENCE.

JUST FIND A SHELTERED BENCH IN FRONT OF THE BUSIEST LINE AND PARK YOURSELF FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AT A TIME.

TRAINS BLASTING PAST AND HUSTLE N BUSTLE OF PEOPLE CUMIN AND GOING WILL BRING HIM ON.

CONSTANT INTERACTION WITH PEOPLE PATTING AND TOUCHING HIM WILL BRING HIM OUT HIS SHELL.

YOU JUST BE THERE CONSTANTLY PRAISING A SECURING HIM .

HE,LL COME GOOD ITS JUST A CONFIDENCE PROBLEM.

ATB.

• Like 1

Only call the dog to you when you are on your hands and knees use only it's name say it's name with joy in your voice but very softly when it comes to you coz it will with this method give it something smelly to eat ie cheese or hotdogs saluki crosses do best when living in the house.with you

• Like 1

ALRIGHT PAL .

JUST FIND A SHELTERED BENCH IN FRONT OF THE BUSIEST LINE AND PARK YOURSELF FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AT A TIME.

TRAINS BLASTING PAST AND HUSTLE N BUSTLE OF PEOPLE CUMIN AND GOING WILL BRING HIM ON.

CONSTANT INTERACTION WITH PEOPLE PATTING AND TOUCHING HIM WILL BRING HIM OUT HIS SHELL.

ATB.

this might work or just terrify the pup
  • Like 1

Cheers for the replies.. I don't wanna give up as a lost cause as he's a nice dog but I started to feel this week he's getting behind in training etc. He hasn't even learned to sit yet and certainly won't come back to me. I work on a farm so he's with me all day an night but if I need to get him in the car or something to go do summat it can take ages to get him to come to me or catch him an it is getting frustrating but I'm determined not to get mad just keep trying with him, He's the same with my mrs an everyone he's met. Treats don't work, Ignoring him don't work nothing seems to, I don't have endless time to train his recall because he has to learn to get in the car etc, I'd say he's got a bloody good thing bein out with me all day but he don't seem to think so lol he f@@kin hates me

He'll come right. And I bet he be the most loyal of dogs when he does! It took my bitch ages to get used to me, would of fled first opportunity but after a while she got used to me and me only and it stayed that way Til the day she died. atb

Edited by hare_n_hounds
  • Like 1

ALRIGHT PAL .

ATB.

this might work or just terrify the pup

If he's on the lead he's not as bad because he can't escape so it would cure the running away but it would terrify him, maybe after a few times he'd be better but I think it might tip him over the edge. Loud noises etc don't bother him at all

He'll come right. And I bet he be the most loyal of dogs when he does! It took my bitch ages to get used to me, would of fled first opportunity but after a while she got used to me and me only and it stayed that way Til the day she died. atb

Cheers for advice mate I hope he does he's a good lookin mutt an should be a good worker, I'll try an put a pic up of him if I can do it, Always had dogs an managed to sort any problems out but this ones stubborn as you like