Cocker Or Beagle Cross

Sammy666

im thinking of getting a dog for bushing foxes and rabbits for the lurchers there mite be a change of me getting a cocker pup out of working lines for free But would i be better with a beagle or beagle cross or would the cocker do the job just as well and would it be better to have 2 bushing dogs rather than the 1.

Many thanks sammy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and my mates have been using a terrier and a beddy bull whippet for bushing. We started doing more so I fancied getting a beagle cross. I did my research and found that 1st cross beagle crosses are

Posted Images

Me and my mates have been using a terrier and a beddy bull whippet for bushing. We started doing more so I fancied getting a beagle cross. I did my research and found that 1st cross beagle crosses are a bit too rangey for general bushing so decided on a 1/2 terrier 1/4 beagle 1/4 spaniel. I can honestly say that she's been a pleasure so far! At just 5 months I could basically take her out on her own. She is thorough through cover, has the nose of a hound and the balls of a terrier.

My 6 year old Russell bitch is coming into season and I've decided to put a dog over her. I'm so impressed with my pup that I've decided to use the same sire - he's 1st cross cocker x beagle.

I'm really looking forward to the pups as I'm breeding for me and friends and any other pups with be found good homes.

I hope this helps you matey and feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

ATB

Sam

• Like 4

If that's at me Kevin then, without taking anything away from my bitch, I think the pup will be. Due to the breeding of my pup she hunts in a completely different way. It's difficult to explain the difference without making my terrier sound bad because she's not - far from it.

If this explains it then it's as if the terrier bushes out because she wants to get to the fun at the end (I.e. the quarry) and the bit where she gets prickled, stung etc. etc. is the only way to get the desired result bit. On the other hand, the pup bushes out to get the end result but also because she loves bushing out, following scent etc. etc. Her breeding is such that the bushing bit isn't a chore - it's fun. Due to this, she is more thorough. She also picks up scent on the ground which means that she knows before she's gone into cover if there is definitely something in there. I hope this shows the difference without downgrading my bitch or terriers in general but that's what I'm wanting to produce from my bitch and the same dog.

ATB

Sam

Me and my mates have been using a terrier and a beddy bull whippet for bushing. We started doing more so I fancied getting a beagle cross. I did my research and found that 1st cross beagle crosses are a bit too rangey for general bushing so decided on a 1/2 terrier 1/4 beagle 1/4 spaniel. I can honestly say that she's been a pleasure so far! At just 5 months I could basically take her out on her own. She is thorough through cover, has the nose of a hound and the balls of a terrier.

My 6 year old Russell bitch is coming into season and I've decided to put a dog over her. I'm so impressed with my pup that I've decided to use the same sire - he's 1st cross cocker x beagle.

I'm really looking forward to the pups as I'm breeding for me and friends and any other pups with be found good homes.

I hope this helps you matey and feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

ATB

Sam

got any pics of your pup mate sounds a handy type? Also get some pics of your Russell and the dog u intend to use if you can would like to see. Is the cocker x beagle in South Wales?

My bitch is the white one in first two and the pup is in the third.

The dog is from Cumbria buddy. Foxpack on here is the brother to the guy that owns the dog. I'll check with him and see if I can use a pic or if he can post one.

Rob, that's the reason I'm breeding. We have some fair sized cover and woodland that could do with a few dogs knocking around in.

ATB

Sam

The dog is from Cumbria buddy. Foxpack on here is the brother to the guy that owns the dog. I'll check with him and see if I can use a pic or if he can post one.

Rob, that's the reason I'm breeding. We have some fair sized cover and woodland that could do with a few dogs knocking around in.

ATB

Sam

nice pics mate looks like you do well,theat pups a belter fair play all the best with him I'm sure it will be a flyer

ATB

Sam

nice pics mate looks like you do well,theat pups a belter fair play all the best with him I'm sure it will be a flyer

We have some good permission mate and we try our best to keep everyone happy! The pup is a cracker buddy. Fingers crossed the ones from my bitch will be just as good!

ATB

Sam

Your pup looks like Ideations hound cross.

• Like 1