Advice/help Apprecited

ive got a 16 month old greyhound x kelpe greyhound x bull bitch.... past few months shes been testing my patience, recall hasnt been good...ive kept clam, tryed to work on it.. recently i thought there was some improvement, turning the lamp off, she was coming straight back to me at times, with the odd f**k about...

yesterday, a big lab run up to her when she was off the lead, she took a snap at it, thankfully nothing else happened.. then tonight she was out the front for a piss, as i cleaned the back garden with jayes early on... she jumped the fence and f****d off, wouldnt recall, and kept running away, i tryed hiding and shouting, as she normaly panics and comes looking for me.

after following her/looking through fields and streets for a while i managed to get a hold of her and get back to the hoose

i know someone that has lifted his a few times to his dug in the past and it listens more, it works for him.. not really a road i want to go down, though for a few seconds it did cross my mind.. i was close to using a shock collar before.

might not seem much to some of you, f***ing raging.. not something i can put up, keeps happening, only a matter of time before suttin happens..

hope the above makes some sense, still raging as i type this....

ive got a 16 month old greyhound x kelpe greyhound x bull bitch.... past few months shes been testing my patience, recall hasnt been good...ive kept clam, tryed to work on it.. recently i thought there was some improvement, turning the lamp off, she was coming straight back to me at times, with the odd f**k about...

yesterday, a big lab run up to her when she was off the lead, she took a snap at it, thankfully nothing else happened.. then tonight she was out the front for a piss, as i cleaned the back garden with jayes early on... she jumped the fence and f****d off, wouldnt recall, and kept running away, i tryed hiding and shouting, as she normaly panics and comes looking for me.

after following her/looking through fields and streets for a while i managed to get a hold of her and get back to the hoose

i know someone that has lifted his a few times to his dug in the past and it listens more, it works for him.. not really a road i want to go down, though for a few seconds it did cross my mind.. i was close to using a shock collar before.

might not seem much to some of you, f***ing raging.. not something i can put up, keeps happening, only a matter of time before suttin happens..

hope the above makes some sense, still raging as i type this....

how long have you had the dog mate,? to be honest you should have it nipped in the bud at least 1/2 it age it is now.?. the best thing to do is stop working it and go back to basics , get the recall 100% right with reward bit of chicken etc. . to get to the dogs head you got get away from other distractions 1st , you got plenty of time for hunting once you got the dog listening to you . :yes:

Difficult one really, I think without knowing the dog itself it's hard to give a lot of sound advice. I think most people who have had a fair few dogs will have has this problem and your dog is still young and should come good. Is she due in season perhaps as some bitches can go a bit wayward at this time I have found. I have one particular dog that despite my best efforts would F off chasing stuff what wasn't appropriate and despite my best efforts up until 18 months no really progress was made from 12 months old In the end I lost my rag with this particular dog and believe me that takes some doing as I am pretty chilled out, but the fact was I had tried all avenues and it was only going to end up with the dog getting knocked over and killed at some point. To cut the story short i lost my rag and let the dog know in no uncertain terms what I thought of its actions via my foot, not sometihing I am proud of by any means or would recommend as I don't know your dog, but to this day 9 years on this bitch changed from that point on and I don't mean gradually I mean from that point on. All dogs are different some need to firmly know who's boss most in my experience naturally follow. Iam sure many will give better advice but to thought I would give you my experience as much to say we have all been there at some point atb

Most dogs especially youngsters will push the ground rules surely. If a terrier dugs itself out of the backyard and has a wander is that a lack of bond? Genuine question, because in my eyes this ain't always the case ps that has never happened to me but just merely a thought. No doubt back to basics though on the training front whichever route he goes atb

As above mate stop hunting and go back to basic training long walks reinforce recall with big rewards when you tell it "here" and it comes reward it and let it go off again don't leash every time, I found with my dog if it thought it would then be restrained what's the point in coming back? Her recalls pretty good now but the second time I went lamping we hopped a fence and she decided to do couple laps of the field to my embarrasment as I was just telling my mate how good she's been doing! I'm sure there's others with more experience that know why its doing it, atb pal I hope you sort it

Micky

Most dogs especially youngsters will push the ground rules surely. If a terrier dugs itself out of the backyard and has a wander is that a lack of bond? Genuine question, because in my eyes this ain't always the case ps that has never happened to me but just merely a thought. No doubt back to basics though on the training front whichever route he goes atb

There's pushing the ground rules at 8-10 months and there's running away at 16 months. Big difference in my opinion.

Not an attack on the wee laddy. I'm just saying look at the bond and the basics.

Why does the breed of dug matter?

No1 as you say the type of dog doesn't matter at all I was just using that as an example, sometimes I think the "lack of bond" thing is over used, you can have a great bond with a dog and it will still pee about if it hasn't got the basics and respect for you as leader. I see your point about 8-10 months being a pup but the fact is all dogs are different some don't grow up until well beyond 10 months especially larger types in my experience 16 months is still a young dog in my eyes and quiet a few will still be very immature. That said at the end of the day it's back to the start and get training it. If the dog has learned that it's more fun doing its own thing and peeing about than it's going to take time to correct it. Some dogs need more than just a good lad or pat to come back when there are so many other better things off the lead, perhaps need to find what motivates the dog and make ire the ground rules are set in all aspects of the dogs life, ie feeding, basic manners atb

No1 as you say the type of dog doesn't matter at all I was just using that as an example, sometimes I think the "lack of bond" thing is over used, you can have a great bond with a dog and it will still pee about if it hasn't got the basics and respect for you as leader. I see your point about 8-10 months being a pup but the fact is all dogs are different some don't grow up until well beyond 10 months especially larger types in my experience 16 months is still a young dog in my eyes and quiet a few will still be very immature. That said at the end of the day it's back to the start and get training it. If the dog has learned that it's more fun doing its own thing and peeing about than it's going to take time to correct it. Some dogs need more than just a good lad or pat to come back when there are so many other better things off the lead, perhaps need to find what motivates the dog and make ire the ground rules are set in all aspects of the dogs life, ie feeding, basic manners atb

Not disputing it is still young at 16 months and the dug might piss about from time to time.

This isn't the odd deaf ear though.

The dug ran off. It jumped a fence and ran away from the owner when called back.

I also disagree that "lack of bond" is over used. I think it's under used. So many don't care to form a bond with a working dug. It's just a tool what does a job and goes back in the kennel.

Forming the bond works both ways. Dug knows what you expect and you know what makes the dug tick. At 16 months it shouldn't be running off.

Edited by No1DogMan