Stakes, which are best?

Tyla

Just ordered my first net. What do you experienced people think are the best stakes?

i was thinking of the poles out of an electric netting fence as a light weight alternative to hazel or maybe bamboo.

Any advice appreciated, thanks :thumbs:

Guest lurcher-lass
i know feck all bout long nets but i would think bamboo would be too brittle.. stick with hazel or fiberglass poles

Would it not depends on the lenght of the bamboo aswell, might work :thumbs:

Thanks guys, its a traditional type 50 yd. Was thinkng of setting steel tent pegs in the bottom of the bamboo so they go into the ground easy. i reckon the electric netting posts would be better, they're dearer but i spose you get what you pay for.

What length should they be?

Just ordered the electric netting posts, they look exactly the same as the ones sold by magnum traps but half the price. i plan to use it at the weekend so will put some pics up. Thanks for all the input :signthankspin:

Just ordered the electric netting posts, they look exactly the same as the ones sold by magnum traps but half the price. i plan to use it at the weekend so will put some pics up. Thanks for all the input :signthankspin:

hi tyla,

im thinking of getting a longnet, just wondered where you got yours and what sort of quality it is cheers

weirauch

I too use the electric fence poles 27" total length, 6" steel spike on end, so 21" of usable pole, found them excellent to use, easy to push in, smooth so dont catch net, and have groove cut in top, where net can be hooked, got them off e bay

just my 2 pence worth on the subject of poles.

With nearly 30yrs of longnetting experiance i have yet to find a peg as userble or reliable as either the 2 main options we have today, hazle and fiberglass. Hazle is free and if you shop around the fiberglass poles arnt as expevsive as you may think. Look at longnetting as you would say air rifle shooting, why spend all that time and effort in learning your field craft only to find your kit lets you down. Its a bit like having a 400pound Air Arms S410 with a 10pound scope from Ching Sing on top, you wouldnt do it, would you?

longnetting is the same, try and use pegs that arnt up to the job and your longnetting days and nights will be a lot harder than needs be. Hazle has been used from the start right back to the conseption of longnetting, why try to re-invent the wheel? it wont make it any more round. fiberglass is the modern input into long netting. with all the money drivern folk out there in todays fieldsports do you not think that if these super cheep alternitives would work that they would not all ready be selling them? instead of paying more for the gear they want to pass on they would buy in the cheap and nastys for next to nothing and make a bigger buck.

Long netting needs a fair amount of effort, more so at night so why try and use gear that will either make it harder on you or let you down when you need it most, out in the field.

Personaly i will stick to the time served and tested hazle, why? because its has never let me down.

test008.jpg

Just ordered my first net. What do you experienced people think are the best stakes?

i was thinking of the poles out of an electric netting fence as a light weight alternative to hazel or maybe bamboo.

Any advice appreciated, thanks :thumbs:

tho i would class myself as a novice after buying a great quality net off mole catcher a good few month back i feel i could comment on the subject as i have been in the same situation.

i basicly came into contact with electric fence polls one afternoon out ferreting... i had my net all set but realized i hadent enuff HAZEL for my net , after a quick search round i came accross some fenceing poles and decided to use them.. now the poles are quite good but there just too fiddlly for my likeing and with the line groves it just adds to the frustration when they tangle in the net tho its a nice little touch for dropping your top line on...

i would say electric fence poles are best used in day time were you can take your time to set up the net and also take your time to take it down but if speed is of the essence then its HAZEL all the way... HAZEL does't tangle in the net its real quick and easy to use plus its free, what more can you ask for ? you need HAZEL pal thats all i use

ALL THE BEST