Lokking A Fox Only Bolting Terrier

Well we can put much more work in front of our terriers now and work them in places that we wouldn't dare before. I have been out with a couple of old timers that could tell a tale and there expectations of terriers have been very low. I'd also say there was a lot of doubling up years ago I'm sure there was the odd good one.

The days of terrierwork and terriermen are numbered,pre-ban it was so much easier,before the Badger act it was easier still.There are terrier folk,and terrier folk,always been the same,ones expectations were often frowned on by another.Anybody that can work a terrier to the potential of the lads of years past as my utmost respect,especially the honest types amidst them.
  • Like 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and if it wont bend it may snap. a good bolter or terrier that can be called of is the most usefull sort of terrier there is. if you have pest control in mind. you can have ten foxes bolted by the tim

I had this dog off milliken for a friend. The dog was described as a dog to use to bolt with but wouldn't stay long enough to have a long dig to. His description of the dog was spot on. I had the dog

For all you hard men and your dogs. This goes for any dog not just terriers. When you "test" your dog when does it prove it's self? FFS It's like a computer game, as if it completes the next level, it

Theres a few different types of fox only terriers. The first is the one that will generally stay until dug to or a bolt occurs. Then there is the type that will do the above though will also have the nose and determination to dig foxes that have been ran to ground under pressure by hounds etc. usually into tight places were the real test begins as reaching its fox by squeezing and digging on is the hardest part of this terriers task not just to stay until dug or bolted but knowing to get a result were other types will fail miserably and have done in the past many times when the first type mentioned is proven to be "not that good off a fox only terrier" afterall. Then you have the fox only bolting terrier which this thread is about. Imo work wise this is the least valued of the three as this type is not committed enough to stay until dug too, though it obviously does serve a purpose in many a mans yard as it can get results in undiggable places like rock piles and deep earths, situations were the other two are not suitable. If a bolt does not occur, then the fox is not accounted for so in that case the bolting terrier is of no use. Neither are the other types.

Was the fell terriers original job to account for foxs in places that could not be dug or was this just more shit to fill pages in books.

Theres a few different types of fox only terriers. The first is the one that will generally stay until dug to or a bolt occurs. Then there is the type that will do the above though will also have the nose and determination to dig foxes that have been ran to ground under pressure by hounds etc. usually into tight places were the real test begins as reaching its fox by squeezing and digging on is the hardest part of this terriers task not just to stay until dug or bolted but knowing to get a result were other types will fail miserably and have done in the past many times when the first type mentioned is proven to be "not that good off a fox only terrier" afterall. Then you have the fox only bolting terrier which this thread is about. Imo work wise this is the least valued of the three as this type is not committed enough to stay until dug too, though it obviously does serve a purpose in many a mans yard as it can get results in undiggable places like rock piles and deep earths, situations were the other two are not suitable. If a bolt does not occur, then the fox is not accounted for so in that case the bolting terrier is of no use. Neither are the other types.

Was the fell terriers original job to account for foxs in places that could not be dug or was this just more shit to fill pages in books.

fell terriers were bred to kill foxes pal

Fell terriers were bred to serve the owners purpose,in the Dales and Fells were the breed flourished,then furnished kennels further afield,many of these owners needed a terrier that could shift the fox from its underground haunts,a dead fox below served little purpose,much of the time,Fell terriers were seldom bred with the intention of producing a slayer,the slayer was a tool utilised in many a kennel as a last resort.
  • 1 year later...

Guy told me down the pub if you use a bolting terrier your too lazy too dig

You get told a lot of things need to stop listening to them fools

lad in the bookies told me the man in pub is full shit stool huggers do be on the milk money .In pub hours sipping on two pints talking there hollow to who'll listen

Until the day I die, I will never understand the "I tested my dog" until it died mentality. As to find a dogs limits it has to die, only them will you know its limits. It's all bull $hit thought up by people to make themselves look good.

TC

yes id agree, why do people need to test the dog to the extremes, if im going out on a sunday morning for a dig if the dog digs me one im happy cant understand why people bring someone out to show off there terrier, heard one a few monthes back " bring me to the hardest deep sett you know and ill dig my terrier" f***ing fool.. go out and enoy a dig with your terrier, reminds

Like prics that buy a staff or a rottweiler to look hard.

Maybe they like to keep a good standard of terrier,not a terrier that works a 3ft dig once a wk on a sunday morning,and as for testing a terrier well we cant anymore as its against the law more's the pity.
his terrier was a tube like him. I go out hunting , not to test dogs. If the dogs fails its gone.

Chances are a 100% fox only bolter will get you more foxes than a fox only stayer. Imo as it has went that way this season for us. But if the bolter lets u know hes there a stayer can be dropped. Bring out the best in the dogs and use it to your advantage.

Fell terriers were bred to serve the owners purpose,in the Dales and Fells were the breed flourished,then furnished kennels further afield,many of these owners needed a terrier that could shift the fox from its underground haunts,a dead fox below served little purpose,much of the time,Fell terriers were seldom bred with the intention of producing a slayer,the slayer was a tool utilised in many a kennel as a last resort.

wish I had a pound lads for every DEAD fox I have seen , dug only to find it still bright as a button, :laugh: bet its many a fox left the rock piles under the cover of darkness,long after it was pronounced dead,and the terrier has appeared to the cry ITS KILLED IT :thumbs:

• Like 2