What Terrier To Go For.

Hi guys, just getting in to me terriers and I'm stil deciding which type of terrier I want.

I've been looking round for a bit now and I'm considering going for a russel. Will be used only for ground work.

So my question is what type of terrier would you say go for? I was looking at a patterdale, but from what i've read they can be a little to hard for their own good? I don't want a terrier that goes straight and gets smashed up, looking more for a bayer.

what you reackon?

If your just getting into terriers and your looking at getting a digging dog my advice (and I am no expert in this area by the way) would be to hold off get some experience with digging, if you can get it as it's hard to come by. If you get a terrier that needs the work and you can't give it to the dog you will have a liability on your hands. It can be a tough game and don't think just because you get a Bayer all will be dander, terriers going to ground always at risk it part of the game I guess, but tough when it goes wrong. If your inexperienced then the chances of things going wrong obviously increase, hence my advice above to start off, sorry if I have misinterpreted your post but based on your info atb

• Like 1

What matt said not for the faint hearted having a dog you think the world of jammed up tight showing 8 plus feet on the locator in some fortress of roots and rocks.

I used to love it but more of a fluffy bunny man in me old age :laugh:

But yea 20 years ago you couldn't fault a good russel sure there is still some good ones around now

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

Andrew, there's bayer's and hard terriers in every terrier type out there so its what you find pleasing on the eye to you, there's also a lot of sh*te out there that will not work so unless you know a few lads that get out digging forget it,its a bad time to be starting out with terriers anyway, a lot of lads do many forms of hunting with terriers, not just digging, ratting is exciting and can lead to a lot of permission, then there's bushing rabbits, ferreting, shooting, squirrels and anything else you come across in a day out, get out and see some terriers work and then make your mind up, WM

If your just getting into terriers and your looking at getting a digging dog my advice (and I am no expert in this area by the way) would be to hold off get some experience with digging, if you can get it as it's hard to come by. If you get a terrier that needs the work and you can't give it to the dog you will have a liability on your hands. It can be a tough game and don't think just because you get a Bayer all will be dander, terriers going to ground always at risk it part of the game I guess, but tough when it goes wrong. If your inexperienced then the chances of things going wrong obviously increase, hence my advice above to start off, sorry if I have misinterpreted your post but based on your info atb

Andrew, this is excellent advice from Matt. Try and get out with a good terrierman locally, likely he will even keep a type of terrier that suits your area.