How Old Is Too Old

How old wood you say is too old to start a lurcher working anyone ever took a dog on at a late stage, everyone has got opinions when best to start so what age would you say when it's been left to late to get the best out of a dog

Edited by Bed/whippet

if the dogs got the right minerals it can be started whenever as long as physically capable running dogs will loose a bit of pace but changes of quarry and running places can usually compensate for that. Dogs are individuals their lines play an important part in courage gameness etc, I have had dogs that would be first in the line for the collar on at 14 years old and sulked like b*****ds if left behind in home , seen others that retired themselves at 5 years old LOL strange old game dogs

• Like 3

Are you thinking of taking on an older none worked animal? If so then fitness will play a part, I've worked racing greyhounds after theyt retired from the track at around 5 years. They were physically fit and strong so it was more about training the mind than physical aptitude. A pet type that has been given minimal exercise will be a different matter as it will take months to get it physically strong and fit, so one of 5 yrs would be questionable. Perhaps something a couple of years old that has the right physique and temperament might be worth investing time into.

No I'm not thinking of taking an older dog on, my bitch is 16 month old now just not getting out as much as IDE like at the minute with one thing and another hoping to get some more time into her now, just seems I get out abit and then sumat comes up and training I've done lapses