fen hares

Guest nitedog

tomo you are correct on that, at the time that was filmed the ground was right for a run early season, not like now when the rain doesn,t come till november :censored: , the dogs in them videos were all pups aswell, starting at 14 month...but again even on there the dogs were good enough to kill them in fields quickly, but as soon as they hit the fens they couldn,t boss the hares......we gave all of the dogs from them the videos away as they wern,t good enough, to do the job we do you need saluki blood, nothing else :thumbs:

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tomo you are correct on that, at the time that was filmed the ground was right for a run early season, not like now when the rain doesn,t come till november :censored: , the dogs in them videos were all pups aswell, starting at 14 month...but again even on there the dogs were good enough to kill them in fields quickly, but as soon as they hit the fens they couldn,t boss the hares......we gave all of the dogs from them the videos away as they wern,t good enough, to do the job we do you need saluki blood, nothing else :thumbs:

If you need saluki and nothing else why have some of the best hare coursing dogs in this country got bedlington in them?

Guest hunter1983
Have any of you guys actually tried making a video? Its not easy to film when its raining or when its exceptionally sunny, your lucky if you get one or two days a week thats ideal conditions, ie dry and cloudy, it takes hours and hours of running and tons of hares to put a bit of footage, some of you guys should get out there and try filming your own dogs instead of dissing other people who have :doh:

NO ACTUALLY I HAVENT MADE A VIDEO BUT IF I DID I WOULDNT BROADCAST IT BECAUSE I HUNT FOR MY OWN PLEASURES, I DONT NEED TO SHOW PEOPLE WHAT MY DOGS CAN AND CARNT DO. AND IF I WERE LIKE THAT I DEFOO WOULDNT FILM IN SUMMER IN LONG GRASS CHASE MILKY DOES AND LEVERETS WHICH THE DOGS STILL STRUGGLE TO COME TO TERMS WITH. IAM NOT SAYING ALL NBHK IS SUMMER BECAUSE IT ISNT THERES ALOT OF GOOD WINTER COURSES IN IT, BUT I JUST THINK THEY SPOILT IT WITH THJE SUMMER FOOTAGE, HUNTING OUT OF SEASON IS NOT SOMETHING TO SHOW OFF ABOUT. :big_boss:

If you need saluki and nothing else why have some of the best hare coursing dogs in this country got bedlington in them?

which ones are they joe???? i know a certain strain have a tiny bit in them from genarations ago, but there main ingrediant is saluki

which ones are they joe???? i know a certain strain have a tiny bit in them from genarations ago, but there main ingrediant is saluki

Baz you know exactly which lines I am talking about! Yes the main ingredient may well be saluki but they still have bedlington and I heard some airdale in there make up. It blows your theory of needing saluki and nothing else out of the water. Iam not sure but dont CN'S dogs carry the same blood?

Surely any bedlington and airedale will be long diluted amongst the saluki and greyhound that dominates most of todays hare coursing lines? Put it another way, a pure saluki will kill hares in the winter on the fens, could a pure bedlington or airedale do that? I dont think so, so is anything other than saluki and greyhound actually needed? It may be there in certain lines due to the original dogs being lurchers, but then saluki lurchers are relatively new on the Uk scene considering how long coursings been going on, it makes sense to assume early coursing dogs prior to saluki blood being used would have been made up of other crosses, ie bedlington, deerhound etc. Dont think those dogs of yesteryear would be able to live with the dogs of today though :no:

correct sjm......joe,in todays coursing dogs that bit of bedlington/airdale will be near enough bred out, with out the saluki blood they wouldn,t be doing the job they do now.....that origional bitch was x with a saluki...and a bitch from that litter was put to a saluki again, so the main dog in the strain is with out doubt, a saluki...

but is it not right merlin eve were salukix lurcher and that strain bred some ov the best dogs to ever to run on the fens i no its been bred out ov most ov them now but them dogs running the fens today are not as good as the pure merlin x eve dogs 10/20 years ago so i would say the bedy and airdale must ov put somthing into the dogs :thumbs:

merlin x eve where the best about in there day but its impossible to try and compare them to dogs off today .....why ?????because there aint here to prove themselves against dogs of today .... :thumbs: joe you seem to have somthing against saluki,s ..with out a doubt the best hare dogs of today a highly saturated with saluki blood ...... :D you know this joe ...so what point are you trying to make ..... :thumbs:

were they as good as the top ones to-day ? I would say no as there wasn't even half as many people running the hares on the fens then as there was just before the ban, so i would say the hares are harder and the dogs are better.

Ive made this clear before snort I have no problem with saluki's just some of the there breed blind owners :feck:
now now joe no need for name calling ...your a bit old for that :D ....if you we to have a pure dog hjoe to hunt wit what would be your choice ....because bull x grey are no good with out the other . :thumbs: many people are sucsesful with pure saluki in hunting ...or my second choice would be the deerhound ....what about you joe coxs ...opps ox :feck:
Ive made this clear before snort I have no problem with saluki's just some of the there breed blind owners :feck:
now now joe no need for name calling ...your a bit old for that :D ....if you we to have a pure dog hjoe to hunt wit what would be your choice ....because bull x grey are no good with out the other . :thumbs: many people are sucsesful with pure saluki in hunting ...or my second choice would be the deerhound ....what about you joe coxs ...opps ox :feck:

:laugh: I take it you dont like being called snort. The best lurchers I have seen have been lurcher x lurcher. A few of the breeds I like or consider beneficial in a dogs makeup are bedlington,collie,bull,deerhound. I like lurchers to have some terrier in there blood although I have not seen all the terrier crosses available run/work.