fen hares

Guest nitedog

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

inan here is a defination of coursing in case you dont understand: to run swiftly and follow the quarry by sight and not scent!

Ive been coursing for 37 years ,so I might have some idea what is involved.Im not going to go on with this roundabout,with you .You saw fit to jump in on a subject,and I asked you what experience you had of it.

NOW THAT IS 4 TIMES I ASKED YOU WHAT EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE OF FEN COURSING? YOUR DEAFENING SILENCE LEADS ME TO THE CONCLUSION I THOUGHT I WOULD REACH..YOU HAVENT A BROWN NOSE JOE BUT YOU DO HAVE EGG ON YOUR FACE. END OF STORY.

Guest nitedog

this topic was started to see your views on fen hares and how they compare to hares on other flat land all i was saying was i find it easyer to kill hares on the fens compared to hares in say bedale or wooler or hartlepool [est] but no hare is easy to kill :thumbs:

I've been reading this thread with interest, and i suddenly find my self agreeing with SJM, (I think!!). At the organised Greyhound coursing, surely a law of 100 yds was so that the judge could award points for the "make up", up to three points; and the kill was incedental, one point. Whereas Lurcher coursing wasn't based on points, but simply the most kills ! I've seen Organised coursing and match coursing with Lurchers, where the law has been as near as 2yds and as far as 150 yds !! I personally like both types of coursing for testing the dogs, but also like "kick-ups" when hunting for the pot !

Cheers.

I've been reading this thread with interest, and i suddenly find my self agreeing with SJM, (I think!!). At the organised Greyhound coursing, surely a law of 100 yds was so that the judge could award points for the "make up", up to three points; and the kill was incedental, one point. Whereas Lurcher coursing wasn't based on points, but simply the most kills ! I've seen Organised coursing and match coursing with Lurchers, where the law has been as near as 2yds and as far as 150 yds !! I personally like both types of coursing for testing the dogs, but also like "kick-ups" when hunting for the pot !

Cheers.

there were a few lurcher clubs tht ran 'under rules' i.e. as in Greyhound coursing: 100 yards law, points awarded to the run up, turns (full or 'wrenches' which are half turns) and sometimes a point awarded for the kill but not necessarily so. I ran with such a club for many years, but we also ran single handed hare numbers permitting and if the land owner wanted them thinning out. A minimum slip of 50 yards was the rule on those days: and yes this was on the fens.

Fen hares were not easy in winter given that any hare that survived the gangs that massacred the August leverets and stubble hares had to be pretty clued up and fast and have endless stamina to have lived that long.

Any hare anywhere is a lot easier to catch if it has just given birth, is not mature, or is a knackered buck worn out with chasing does in spring. It made me sick to see people bragging about how many hares their dogs had caught when they went out in August or May and ran on kick ups. A Collie could have caught some of the above mentioned hares if it hunted them out of their seat by scent.

My conclusion: a fit winter hare on the fens would spit in the eye of most dogs: hence the 'holy grail' attitude of how many hares can your dog catch on the fens. :hmm: Not to mention the fact that in many places the hares were run so often and so hard that many of them resorted to going to ground in rabbit holes, fox holes and drainage pipes. Once upon a time the slow stamina dogs could just grind the hares down as they had nowhere to go but round in ever increasing circles: just before the ban there were a lot of places where the hares went to ground as soon as they could, which put paid to the slow stamina dogs.

Anyone who has run their in the last 10 years will know that.

Skycat, I agree that some Lurcher coursing was done under N.C.C. rules, but the vast majority of Lurcher coursing, weather organised meetings or match courses, were decided on which hound killed the most hares !! This type of coursing has led to the best breeds of out and out hare coursing dogs available. It cannot be compaired with Greyhound coursing or indeed, lamping hares !! It's a ridiculous argument to equate a coursing lurcher with a dog that takes one for the pot ! If matching dogs, the law would usually be agreed beforehand.

Cheers.

Guest markbrick1
same shit differant day i must of had shit lurchers for over 40 yrs as some of you men have super dogs not lurchers 6 out of 6 regular hares??????????????? f**k of and wake hope oh and most of you are what 15???????/ mark

Your post is excellent input to the topic markbrick1 :thumbs: please write another!

joe i am sick of reading the same bullshit,i suppose half term week is over up north now and all the children have gone back to school and theres no hares left as theyve been out every day with there minshaw dogs killing 6 out of 6 hares,mark

Well done mark its took you 2 days to think of that excellent well written and educated reply I will look forward to reading your next in 2 days time :thumbs:

Out of interest mark how old are you?

ok just for you joe,iam old enough to have children over 21 yrs old be a grandad and remember what thatcher did to the miners and personally suffer so is that old enough to know a little,mark

Hi Mark, I couldn't resist it; but on various sites this year, you've had lurchers...... "almost 30 years"...... "over 30 years"....... "almost 40 years".......and...... "over 40 years" !!!!! On another thread, you said you were 42 year old !!! And what did Thatcher do to bricklayers ??? Apart from start a housing boom !!! Come on, Mark, this is a serious thread about dogs coursing REAL LIVE HARES, not plastic bags !!!!

Cheers.

Guest markbrick1
Hi Mark, I couldn't resist it; but on various sites this year, you've had lurchers...... "almost 30 years"...... "over 30 years"....... "almost 40 years".......and...... "over 40 years" !!!!! On another thread, you said you were 42 year old !!! And what did Thatcher do to bricklayers ??? Apart from start a housing boom !!! Come on, Mark, this is a serious thread about dogs coursing REAL LIVE HARES, not plastic bags !!!!

Cheers.

what an housing boom in the early 80s we were on £31 a thoushand for commons £68 for face brick average 2 bed semi was £22ooo were i was and there was no building boom,iyes i done 2 yrs of shows and partly enjoyed them but ive had my yrs of coarsing as well,its always the same people who bullshit about there dogs and there 5 out of 5 hares and yes most belong to hunters united i welcome any non beleaver when it comes to my dogs,mark

Guest nitedog

:

Cheers.

what an housing boom in the early 80s we were on £31 a thoushand for commons £68 for face brick average 2 bed semi was £22ooo were i was and there was no building boom,iyes i done 2 yrs of shows and partly enjoyed them but ive had my yrs of coarsing as well,its always the same people who bullshit about there dogs and there 5 out of 5 hares and yes most belong to hunters united i welcome any non beleaver when it comes to my dogs,mark

:whistling::signthankspin:

What some do not understand is that although the fens may look featureless they rarely are. I have permission over a huge swathe of fenland and at first glance looks like the proverbial "wheat desert". But there are drains, dykes, fox holes and the odd hedge scattered across the land, not to mention game cover crops that remain in situ all season. Hares can, and do,use all these to their advantage throughout the course. :gunsmilie:

I have a huge respect for all hares as the ultimate athelete. :notworthy:

Those that talk disparagingly about hares i find have not run enough daytimes ones....

Early season hares can often be "mugs" and even when cover is near by they simply "loose their heads",but once winter is truely here and those hares have seen the odd dog etc then they are a different animal. I am not suggesting for one moment that a january hare is "fitter" than an october hare, just that , perhaps,they have a bit more savvy and their maturity helps them keep a cool head even when in between the front feet of a snapping lurcher...... :notworthy:

My own dogs have been humiliated by hares up and down the country on all terrains...., small fields and fens alike... :clapper::clapper:

good hunting....JD

What some do not understand is that although the fens may look featureless they rarely are. I have permission over a huge swathe of fenland and at first glance looks like the proverbial "wheat desert". But there are drains, dykes, fox holes and the odd hedge scattered across the land, not to mention game cover crops that remain in situ all season. Hares can, and do,use all these to their advantage throughout the course. :gunsmilie:

I have a huge respect for all hares as the ultimate athelete. :notworthy:

Those that talk disparagingly about hares i find have not run enough daytimes ones....

Early season hares can often be "mugs" and even when cover is near by they simply "loose their heads",but once winter is truely here and those hares have seen the odd dog etc then they are a different animal. I am not suggesting for one moment that a january hare is "fitter" than an october hare, just that , perhaps,they have a bit more savvy and their maturity helps them keep a cool head even when in between the front feet of a snapping lurcher...... :notworthy:

My own dogs have been humiliated by hares up and down the country on all terrains...., small fields and fens alike... :clapper::clapper:

good hunting....JD

I agree.