fen hares

Guest nitedog

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if fen hares are so easy, why is no one down there killing double figure with there superior dogs? its easy enogh to hit the double figure mark on the lamp, but no one is doing it during the day , if certain breeds are killing heaps on the lamp , why arnt they doing in in daylight, even if they did half there average night-time tally they would be putting a saluki x to shame, :hmm::hmm:

Guest markbrick1
same shit differant day i must of had shit lurchers for over 40 yrs as some of you men have super dogs not lurchers 6 out of 6 regular hares??????????????? f**k of and wake hope oh and most of you are what 15???????/ mark

Your post is excellent input to the topic markbrick1 :thumbs: please write another!

joe i am sick of reading the same bullshit,i suppose half term week is over up north now and all the children have gone back to school and theres no hares left as theyve been out every day with there minshaw dogs killing 6 out of 6 hares,mark

Guest Bunny Basher
same shit differant day i must of had shit lurchers for over 40 yrs as some of you men have super dogs not lurchers 6 out of 6 regular hares??????????????? f**k of and wake hope oh and most of you are what 15???????/ mark

How old are you Mark, if youve had lurchers for over 4o years? :hmm:

Edited by Bunny Basher

Your post is excellent input to the topic markbrick1 :thumbs: please write another!

joe i am sick of reading the same bullshit,i suppose half term week is over up north now and all the children have gone back to school and theres no hares left as theyve been out every day with there minshaw dogs killing 6 out of 6 hares,mark

Well done mark its took you 2 days to think of that excellent well written and educated reply I will look forward to reading your next in 2 days time :thumbs:

Out of interest mark how old are you?

inan is your nose brown :clapper: I think nitedog was commenting to skycat tongue in cheek!

No my nose isnt brown ,it might be a little red from the real ale I drank Sunday.I dont think Nite dog was talking tongue in cheek,he doesnt appear that subtle.

I read your two bobs worth about fair law,"how many lurcher men can honestly say they give every hare fair law"? That was roughly the gist of it wasnt it? Nite dog started the post ,about Fen hares and how good they are,it seems to me that how much law you allow the hare before slipping your dog ,would be crucial in evaluating how good the hares are ,and also how good your dog is,so I fail to see you r point.We arent talking about one for the pot k ickups,but testing your dog on fen hares ,when numbers like 6 out of 6 are bandied about,people that have run on the fens naturally get curious as to the conditions and circumstances those 6 hares were caught under.Coursing hares mean s giving them fair law,not slipping till the hare is well into its stride and from 80 to 100 yds,not walking hares up with your dog running free,that might be fun ,but it isnt coursing.Since you saw fit to pop at me ,may I ask you how much experience you have of fen coursing.Truthfully i wasnt going to respond to this thread at all ,as most of it imo is a load of crap,but when someone whom I know is slated as a part timer,and by a poster who comes across as about 15,I responded,as I responded to your little dig.Have I answered your dig?

inan is your nose brown :clapper: I think nitedog was commenting to skycat tongue in cheek!

No my nose isnt brown ,it might be a little red from the real ale I drank Sunday.I dont think Nite dog was talking tongue in cheek,he doesnt appear that subtle.

I read your two bobs worth about fair law,"how many lurcher men can honestly say they give every hare fair law"? That was roughly the gist of it wasnt it? Nite dog started the post ,about Fen hares and how good they are,it seems to me that how much law you allow the hare before slipping your dog ,would be crucial in evaluating how good the hares are ,and also how good your dog is,so I fail to see you r point.We arent talking about one for the pot k ickups,but testing your dog on fen hares ,when numbers like 6 out of 6 are bandied about,people that have run on the fens naturally get curious as to the conditions and circumstances those 6 hares were caught under.Coursing hares mean s giving them fair law,not slipping till the hare is well into its stride and from 80 to 100 yds,not walking hares up with your dog running free,that might be fun ,but it isnt coursing.Since you saw fit to pop at me ,may I ask you how much experience you have of fen coursing.Truthfully i wasnt going to respond to this thread at all ,as most of it imo is a load of crap,but when someone whom I know is slated as a part timer,and by a poster who comes across as about 15,I responded,as I responded to your little dig.Have I answered your dig? Just in case you might consider me a part timer,I was working my dog in Sufflok Wednesday,Ferreting in Cambridge ,Saturday,Shooting locally tonight ,and bushing my dogs on local permission every day.All the contents of my post that referred to coursing was of course pre ban.

inan, I was not having a dig, If I was it would be direct and anything I say on here I would say face to face. Simply having to give a hare 100 yards head start on the fens speaks for it self, they need it!

inan, I was not having a dig, If I was it would be direct and anything I say on here I would say face to face. Simply having to give a hare 100 yards head start on the fens speaks for it self, they need it!

Tongue in cheek? :whistling: Surely Joe :D

When coursing its custom to give hares 80 to100 yds any where you are running its called sportsmanship,which seems to be a little out of fashion ,judging by some of the comments.You didnt reply to my question about how much experience of running fen hares you have? Id like an answer,especially in the light of your comment that fen hares need a100yds law,as though they were easy to catch.How much have you done?

6 hares :haha: not very sporting running milky does in stubble :no: ...........

How can you get milky does in stubble :doh: stubble is from August onwards and does are milky aip/may.

Where have you been for the last 10 - 20 years? There are leverets around even now: its called global warming. I reckon the only time you are unlikely to find milky does now is from late Novemeber to late January: that's been my experience anyway these last 10 years or so.

so you run y dogs two month a year :hmm: part timer :yes:

I dont know you Nite dog ,but I do know Skycat ,and that is one person who has a wealth of experience of coursing hares pre-ban,and Im talking about coursing with proper law given to the quarry ,80 to a 100 yds,running very ,very good dogs ,in coursing competitions against equally very good dogs,there are many people who would like to have had the success ,[and the trophies]Sky cat has won coursing over the years.Skycat is as near to a fulltime hunter as you will find.I said I dont know you Nite dog ,but I know this,you come across as a gobby know-all,who is blowing their own trumpet.Maybe Ive got you wrong,I hope so ,but Im not holding my breath waiting to find out. Inan.

is it not right what im saying s c says he dosent run milky does so he runs from end ov nov to end ov jan hes into hare law so he will not go lamping so what does he hunt full time?????? :hmm:

anything that ran (pre ban of course). I wouldn't call myself a 'full time' hunter as that is someone who does asbolutely nothing else at all! I shall say that my dogs are out every day, and every suitable night catching something as I'm lucky to have plenty of land and stuff on it. Nowadays its mostly pest control for farmers and shoots.

As far as hares went, before the ban, of course, you can't tell when the hare jumps if its a milky doe or not: I was just commenting on the times of year you are unlikely to find a milky doe nowadays. The same as a three quarter grown leveret: they often looked a lot bigger when they jumped than once the dog had caught them!

I think that Inan was referring to fair law during competitions: hunting for the pot is a different matter, or if the farmer had asked you to thin them out. There was hare coursing and hare hunting: 2 totally different things IMO.

Guest Bunny Basher
How old are you Mark, if youve had lurchers for over 4o years? :hmm:

How old are you I thought you were supposed to be a 14/15 year old school boy? :haha::feck:

I am :blink: so whats that got to do with it?Can you not ask a question round here without you making your smart ares comments? How old are you? :feck: