Council Permissions

Some local allotment holders contacted me about their pigeon problem. In turn I approached the council who control the land, quoting the gardeners, and offering the usual free service. Unsurprisingly they refused saying they were constrained by Health & Safety and insurance issues and could only employ professional pest controllers but with cutbacks they couldn't afford them. Seems a bit daft when they could have a free service anyway.

Has anybody come across this when dealing with council offices and how did you get on ?

Method statement. Risk assessment and insurance should help :thumbs:

It's all about arse covering. More so when your going to allow someone or a potential idiot free reign with an airgun. ( in their eyes no offence ).

BASC membership doesn't show anyone anything. It doesent prove the character that you are. It's paid for.

Hence my above quote.

as far as i am aware,if you are removing vermin, with out charge/ voluntary,your shooting insurance will cover you.

the allotment owner rents the land from the council,making them the tenant.which i think is all you need, is permission from the tenant,to shoot quarry under the license.

However!

you have stated pigeon shooting! are they feral or wood pigeon?

feral are a general pest,and can be shot in day light/night time.wood pigeon,is a different matter,it has to be protecting crops/vegetable's i believe?

and deffo no shooting in your garden,unless you have a vegetable patch?

and i seem to remember that the way you conduct your vermin control,has changed to,in regards of bird quarry.

you have to make every effort to,convince them to leave.before you grab your Shotty/air rifle .WTF!

I do apologise for going on,but had 0ne or three, in the man cave! :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 3

As a Ex allotment holder - You have No rights to control with a Air Gun Vermin on their land

Used to be a Senior Enforcement Officer and they would not let me control Vermin On their properties Car Parks Etc

Rather have the pest issues

Comes back to Public Liablity issues

BOB/R

I had the same problems a while ago , even with the correct method statements and risk assessments in place along with a few really good references Rother council were just not interested ... even though the same as other have said pests and vermin are rife .