Trip Out

smithie

its a few month ago now ( june/july) but it was a friday night, dark and very little wind. i decided to get the battries on charge as i was going out to fill the boot :laugh: . phoned 2 farmers in north yorks telling them i would be on (their keepered). truth is i did not expect to get on both lots of land but you never know how the night will pan out.

pulling up to the farm and i could see the tractor cutting the grass why i cant be told that when i phoned ill never know but hey ho it is what it is. still light so i poped off to set the sights as im a bad shot anyway so i need the gun set correctly . half dozen pellets later i was good to go and the dark night was beging to cover all i could and could not see

i decide to pop over towards the farmer in his tractor and give him a quick hello so to show my face and let him know im turning up not just talking of it. before i got near i saw 2 rabbits by the foot of a tree. not far 20 yds or so if i remember correctly. anyway well within my capabilitys of a standing shot... squeezeing the trigger the first rabbit fell over, lifeless. the second hopped away a yard and sat up looking at me, i was happy with that, number 2 fell over.. i pissed the rabbits and left them on the wall.

farmers son had seen my lamp and stopped telling me the second farm i was to visit cut already.. he told me only the next field was short enough to see anything in and with that i popped to the wall and had a rabbit at the bottom corner of the field then walked up the wall towards the brow of the field and managed to get 2 rabbits.

i was done here and had to move on the the second farm..

sooooo glad i phoned them both now.

i was rolling along the country lanes in the dark with all the road to my self and with nothing on my mind but rabbits and were i might find them on this land. driving past the wood and turning to go over the we hump back bridge and then i saw it... BLOODY FARM LIT UP LIKE SANTA'S GROTTO . 4 tractors shunting trailors around, reverse bleepers, orange beacons and big spotlights all eluminating were i wanted the blackness of the night.

well i was thier and an hour from home so hey ho what the hell im having a peep, straight away first field 5/6 rabbits sat out:) i know these run down and in to the garden when they get spooked so i went to the bottom side and rested on the 5 bar gate, on with the lamp and the first rabbit fell over. off with the lamp and i pointed the gun to the bottom where i know they run. back on with the red led torch mounted to my scope and sure enough 3 rabbits waiting to see what all the fuss is about.. i squeezed the trigger and missed cocking the airgun again and having another look left me just the 1 shot on, it was the one i had just missed. i did not miss twice

i left the rabbitss there for now and walked around the back of the farm house. 4/5 strangers stood talking so i just said how do and cut through them to look around the back.. tractors flashing and bleeping away but i walked around and in to the field collecting the rabbits i had shot. then i bumped in to the farmer.." you want a bru? these lads are packing up and fooking off so ill see ya round other side in 10 if you want" he said to me.. well that suited me as it gives it time to settle again.

its a decent farm 1mile end to end so i was always going to get on somat tonight..

tractors pulled out the yard in a convoy and i was sat at a table on farm lane making a bru and having some buscuits ( fat people always eat the buscuits) farmer turned up and said he was wired as hes been hammering coffee to stay awake and no way could he sleep yet then he buggered off..

he came back with 2 lamps tapped together and a big battery and said " you sup up while i get the quad" you guesed it we was lamping.. battery was strapped on and i sat on the rear rack while the good farmer shone his lamp to do the spotting. it was a good crack, and i had a couple near his house and put them on the front rack of the quad. turning the quad to go down the lane and on to the road i asked him if it was legal to take the gun out there.. he replied with a stern no but its more mad max if we do

half mile or so later we pulled in to some field of his and he was giving the quad some welly. it had become hard to hold on and i bounced of the back and landed in a cow shit but i didnt mind i was having a ball. only got 3 more as i remeber but we seen hare's galore and deer.

we made our way back to the farm to call it a night as he had to get up in 3 hours and although i could have stayed out all night i was greatful for my night from a farmer who i concider a friend. hes has in the past even drove me around on 4x4 with shotguns and lamp

i thanked him and bid him good night. the drive home was strangly satisfing and i was content with my lot this night

• Like 6