A Good Mentor

Looking for someone around bishop auckland/ Darlington area to show me the ropes with terrier work, have a young pup and no idea where to start with field work, have him pushing through light brambles and nettles all ready, but would really like to have him going to ground when he's old enough to start, so looking for someone knowledgeable to help me get into the sport and guide me.

Good luck but in todays climate most lads are suspicious of newcomers. It's a pity but there's plenty out there who would love to set up a terrier man and have him fitted up for breaking the law.

Personally over the years most young lads I helped along the way were usually the first to go behind my back and hunt my permissions and cause trouble for me.

Unfortunately, in the terrier game there's a lot of lads who think they know it all after half a dozen digs and decide to paddle their own canoe.

IMO it takes 20 years of regular terrierwork to become a terrierman. Anyone else is a novice IMO.

So if someone is good enough to show you the ropes then you be good enough to be 100% reliable and trustworthy.

JMHO.

• Like 15

Bought the pup off a lad in Pontefract and its a bit of a mission getting down that way regularly, would be looking for someone to stick with for a good few seasons, id be willing to just go along and help out without the dog as he's only just 9weeks, how did most lads on here start off

Will get looking for permissions then, first port of call will be my old mans uncle, used to run and live on a farm near darlo perhaps he knows the current manager or owner still

What sort of pup did you buy ?? is it off digging lines ?? you need to let the pup grow up before you start anything serious workwise, you could spend that time reading as many decent books and watching dvd's on what you want to do with your terrier, digging is a very limited hobby these days due to legislation so be very careful who shows you the ropes, a pup from good lines could self enter so be wary of where you take it, WM
  • Like 2

A couple of thoughts mate,

What are you going to get permission for? with just a pup you cant secure foxing permission, even when its older you could look daft if you cant produce the goods, not a good start.

If i were in your shoes i would apply for the SGC, you need it anyway to dig legally, then you could try for shooting permission, easier than foxing permission now with the stupid laws, not only that it would show any "old hand" you weren't a "wrong un" if you get the ticket, some of my mates have had to apply for the SGC just to carry on digging legally, they didn't want it at all, some will disagree but not a big percentage of the old guard were ever into guns in a big way, if you could find a half decent old boy he might be glad of not having to have the shotgun himself, it would be a plus if any young lad asked me for help and he had it, if i still did it that is lol.

If you have to go it alone the best teacher is a well bred dog, but let him grow up, early entering is a big no no usually, normally i wouldn't let a dog hunt anything bar fox if i intended to dig with it, but if you go it alone with the pup you need to build a working relationship with the dog, and a big part is the dog trusting you, so the best way is to hunt what you can but avoid foxes until the dogs ready, and pick your earths when you think he is, think "bolting foxes" rather than digging, if the fox runs away from the dog the dog thinks he's won, getting a novice a good hiding can set you back months/ruin it for good, that's when breeding comes in.

Hope that's useful.

• Like 1

What are you going to get permission for? with just a pup you cant secure foxing permission, even when its older you could look daft if you cant produce the goods, not a good start.

If i were in your shoes i would apply for the SGC, you need it anyway to dig legally, then you could try for shooting permission, easier than foxing permission now with the stupid laws, not only that it would show any "old hand" you weren't a "wrong un" if you get the ticket, some of my mates have had to apply for the SGC just to carry on digging legally, they didn't want it at all, some will disagree but not a big percentage of the old guard were ever into guns in a big way, if you could find a half decent old boy he might be glad of not having to have the shotgun himself, it would be a plus if any young lad asked me for help and he had it, if i still did it that is lol.

If you have to go it alone the best teacher is a well bred dog, but let him grow up, early entering is a big no no usually, normally i wouldn't let a dog hunt anything bar fox if i intended to dig with it, but if you go it alone with the pup you need to build a working relationship with the dog, and a big part is the dog trusting you, so the best way is to hunt what you can but avoid foxes until the dogs ready, and pick your earths when you think he is, think "bolting foxes" rather than digging, if the fox runs away from the dog the dog thinks he's won, getting a novice a good hiding can set you back months/ruin it for good, that's when breeding comes in.

Hope that's useful.

Well put fella

I was in a similar position a few years ago pal, thinking nobody was in my area to learn the ropes from. I knew my sisters next door neighbour was into fieldsports etc; so after a good chat, it comes to light that among other things, he's worked terriers for over 30+ years. He was willing to let me tag along and since then more opportunities have come along. It's definitely a difficult fieldsport to get into and its more "who you know than what you know" but keep a ear to the ground and you never know what might come about.

ATB and good luck :)

Hope that's useful.

Problem with that being an amateur who is planning on learning by himself, as I did, he can't have any idea on size/depth/hazards of earths unless he puts a dog in. Luckily I had some really shit terriers to start with & one border in particular helped me learn all about the earths on the estate I had permission on. A 20 minute fox only wonder dog that bolted loads of foxes for the lurchers preban in places that went 'off the box'. As said previously, not many will show a newcomer the ropes for the reasons mentioned. Join a terrier club, in the hope you can get in with some other lads but more importantly to help rescue your dog if the worst should happen. Good luck

Had a look into the SGC and if I'm understanding it right I would need proof of permissions to use vermin control as a reason to obtain the certificate so thinking of getting an air rifle and trying for some permission for bunnies and rats, I read somewhere about muzzle velocity having to be under 12lb to not need a fire arms certificate, looking at a falcon fn12 raptor anyone got any experience with these?