Newbie To Shotguns

All 12g shotguns will cover the quarry you mentioned. you'll just need different cartridges for different things.

The gun you get will be personal preference and budget. Make sure it FITS right above all else.

Personally (and i'm sure there will many people who think differently) a decent over and under would be a good starting point. :thumbs:

Hi Dave - if you don't mind me asking - how old are you and who is going to help you get started? I don't think you should buy your gun until after you have tried out some shotgun shooting with some-one who know how to instruct.

Dave - I seriously recommend you get down to that local clay club and have some lessons or trial sessions before you start looking for your first gun. If you have never held a shotgun as you say, then you won't really be able to select one to buy yet. You wouldn't usually buy a car without learning how to drive first.

Regarding your shotgun certificate, as long as you don't have any nasty prior convictions or a history of psychiatric illness, it is still your right to be granted one. Some useful info here : http://www.positiveshooting.com/GettingaLicence.html

• Like 1

Lid's advice is spot on.

You need a few lessons to get you started and to get checked out for gun fit etc. You also need to try different guns as different brands balance differently.

Generally people fall into 2 mains camps for balance, Beretta or Browning. After that, there are a whole host of more minor brands that balance in a similar way to the the 2 B's. The only way to find out what you like is to try.

Then fit / balance aside, there's barrel length, which falls at 28 or 30" for most, but again varies according to preference / use.

You can't just buy a gun off the shelf blind and hit on what suits you perfectly unless you get lucky. There are a lot of variables from balance to gun stock dimensions to length and the only way is to get measured for fit then try guns for balance and barrel length to find what feels right to you, and that means shooting some clays. Swinging the gun in the shop helps, but its not the same as actually firing it.

• 2 weeks later...

A pump action shotgun is different from a semi auto, the pump action is operated by YOU so of course it will recycle any cartridge, a semi auto is operated by pressure from the load you are using, that is why some semis don't operate with loads of say less 28grm simply because there aint enough pressure from them to recycle the next shot. :thumbs:

AS said above Dave, there's lots of people around you who will advise,where in Cumbria are you,pm me if you want if I can help I will,its more important to get a gun that fits you properly,and if you want to have a shot I would see what I can do to help,