Tikka Twist Rate Help

I bought my tikka t3 lite in .223 second hand recently, I was told it was a 1 in 12 twist and that it shot up to 64grn bergers grouping and inch at 100 yards....

Ive been using 55grn Hornady vmax with good results, but talking with the bloke in the local shop, he tells me a 1 in 12 wouldn't stabilize anything over 55grn.

He said he would be willing to bet his months wages that it wasn't 1 in 12 if it did group with the 64s and that it would be a 1 in 8 if it did.

I looked up how to measure twist rate and had a go, it appears I have a 1 in 10 twist? Did/do tikka make a 1 in 10? Or have I messed up?

I put a tight fitting patch on the rod, pushed it a few inches into the barrel and marked the rod at a given point, marked the top of the rod at the handle end and pushed it through until the mark on the handle end was back on the top. Marked the rod again at the same given point and measured in between the two marks, first i got 9 1/2 inches, then 10 1/2 inches then put a slightly tighter patch through and got a reading of 10 inches...

Can anyone tell me when tikka made the 1 in 10 if they did?

Cheers!

Any idea how old the gun is?

Up to around 8-10 years ago they were 1-12 as standard, then they started making them 1-8 as standard for about 2 years and then went back to 1-12 as standard, which is where we are today with a 1-8 available special order.

So, my suggestion is they have not made a 1-10 for over 10 years, if ever!

Someone above has suggested they did make a 1-10, I am not aware of this, but they may well know more than me!

Edit

Mine is a Stainless Lite .223 1-8, I got it new about 8 years ago, if is fine with anything from 40-80g but tends to live on 50-55g SP or V-Max.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

This chap claims to own one...

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/89740-Tikka-T-3-Stainless-223-1-10-quot-twist-accuracy-test

I don't know how old the gun is Deker but the bloke I bought it from said he bought it new 4 years ago, whether that's true I don't know.

It says "CAL .223 REM. 12" MADE IN FINLAND" on the barrel....... :hmm:

I thought the 12" meant 1 in 12 twist. But why do I get a full rotation of a patch on a rod in 10 inches?

If it took more than 12 inches to rotate fully then I would have thought the patch was slipping forward slightly and rotating at the same time.., but to get a full rotation in 10 inches? To me means its either a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 8 and slipping whilst rotating, which I doubt because I watched the rod turn constantly...

This chap claims to own one...

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/89740-Tikka-T-3-Stainless-223-1-10-quot-twist-accuracy-test

I don't know how old the gun is Deker but the bloke I bought it from said he bought it new 4 years ago, whether that's true I don't know.

It says "CAL .223 REM. 12" MADE IN FINLAND" on the barrel....... :hmm:

I thought the 12" meant 1 in 12 twist. But why do I get a full rotation of a patch on a rod in 10 inches?

If it took more than 12 inches to rotate fully then I would have thought the patch was slipping forward slightly and rotating at the same time.., but to get a full rotation in 10 inches? To me means its either a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 8 and slipping whilst rotating, which I doubt because I watched the rod turn constantly...

Unless something very strange has happened, if yours says 12 on the action then you can be pretty confident it is 12.

No idea about this 1-10 T3 in .223, there does not appear to be anything listed on the Tikka site about a 1-10. http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/datatables/TikkaT3Datatable2014.pdf

Perhaps an email/call to GMK or Tikka will confirm if a 1-10 is/was available.

• Like 1