Hugh fearnley whittingsall

Anyone else think hugh has "sold out" and is just after the money?? He was always a bit of a hero for me, he would be out and about, living off the land and eating just about anything. He was always a bit "posh" but his charm and likeability always won me over, but just lately all he is after is the money. He plugs his restaurant, hiw site is all courses by his friends offering to teach you to find mushrooms, cooking classes etc etc and all are top dollar.

Even his books are aimed at the more affluent. Come on hugh, get back to basics and get out there foraging YA BIG PUFF!!!

He comes up to an estate where my mate works as a keeper, he shot his road trip dvd up there and pretended to be staying out in the hills in a wigwam/teepee thing but actually he was put up in some fancy hotel in Dumfries :D I dont know him personally but my mate reckons hes quite a sound bloke. Lets face it, the cult of celebrity is a pretty cut throat business, hes quite drab alongside the likes of Gordon Tourettes Ramsay so hats off to him for plugging his business any way he can, I would be doing the same in his shoes :thumbs:

I think, although he was always willing to eat variuos foods, hes never not been in it for the money... He never really lived "off the land" so i dont think you could say hes "sold out" its just that hes doing it in a bigger way these days... I always enjoyed all of his tv shows, they made for very entertaining viewing, i think it was just important to remember that he wasnt ruffing it...!

YIS

BorderBoy

I'd agree to some extent on both sides, the recent television he's been producing isn't as interesting nor does it have the charm of his river cottage series.

But as Lost Scouse says, he still gets people thinking about food and where it comes from, and how.

No bad thing at all in this day and age.

I'd agree to some extent on both sides, the recent television he's been producing isn't as interesting nor does it have the charm of his river cottage series.

But as Lost Scouse says, he still gets people thinking about food and where it comes from, and how.

No bad thing at all in this day and age.

have to agree with the above

Why is his book aimed at "the more affluent" ?

His newer books seem to presume that we all have 5 acres of land to put pigs and sheep in. The "meat" one etc.

Im not saying he is totally for the rich, and im not saying he has "totally" sold out, but in comparison to the cook on a wild side series and book, he just seems to be chasing the mighty pound now , when i would prefer him to stick to his "roots". IMO if he carries on in the way he is , he will be no different to any of the tv chefs.

Why is his book aimed at "the more affluent" ?

His newer books seem to presume that we all have 5 acres of land to put pigs and sheep in. The "meat" one etc.

Im not saying he is totally for the rich, and im not saying he has "totally" sold out, but in comparison to the cook on a wild side series and book, he just seems to be chasing the mighty pound now , when i would prefer him to stick to his "roots". IMO if he carries on in the way he is , he will be no different to any of the tv chefs.

you mean you havn,t got 5 acres of lawn outside your mansion and some little peasant oik to mow it every saturday?, good god man , where you dragged up 8)

i think he did a good job, taught people some important things. He is trying to run a business now, why have a pop at him because he is making a success of it? He will probably get about 50p a book sold so its hardly lining his pockets.

I wouldnt mind being a pound behind him!