German Sheperds

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Due to their paw size they struggle with the trigger.

weird fukka,has a right sneaky way about him,but he keeps folk out for sure

I've had a fair few pass through my door when I helped out a German Shepherd Rescue charity with training the dogs. They are the most noble and loyal of dogs.   I was never asked to provide a nice w

Posted Images

Had a few shepherds over the years some total headcases that never lived long but on the whole decent workable dogs. A mate has a litter of shepheard x Malis at the minute have to say if it gels right that would be the route if go down if I needed another.

yep :thumbs: think the cops have started to use them with good results , but both breeds have to be good lines , from what I was told few years ago by bloke who as trained both breeds for army/police/raf

i've had acouple of shepherds and i ahve to say that if you do them right, they are one of the best dogs you will ever own. these were what i think of as old fashioned types, not pedigree but purebred, the sort you would see guarding every scrapyard or car lot in the 70s, good conformation and temperament and a far cry from the show bred rubbish. i would say that some individuals can be a bit over-assertive with dogs of the same sex, and you need to establish control at an early age, but i dont mean you need to be tough with them, just consistent and firm. clever, brave, determined but also relaxed and calm in the home. i will have another one day. best of luck with the pup, looks a cracker.

• Like 2

i've had acouple of shepherds and i ahve to say that if you do them right, they are one of the best dogs you will ever own. these were what i think of as old fashioned types, not pedigree but purebred, the sort you would see guarding every scrapyard or car lot in the 70s, good conformation and temperament and a far cry from the show bred rubbish. i would say that some individuals can be a bit over-assertive with dogs of the same sex, and you need to establish control at an early age, but i dont mean you need to be tough with them, just consistent and firm. clever, brave, determined but also relaxed and calm in the home. i will have another one day. best of luck with the pup, looks a cracker.

my young dog who only 1/2 Alsatian deff shows the above temp, the Alsatian must be quite strong gene in a dog then , the only thing he is different is he not dog or people aggressive, he loves both lol , but being honest I saw a big pure male gsd few weeks back about same size as my 1x gsd x grey, and this was very aggressive to people and dogs , the bloke was struggling with it, he just about held it on the lead :blink: , I thought thank fook my dog soft or he would as bad as that twat was, there great when bred+trained right, but when not very dangerous breed of dog I reckon :yes:

• Like 3

Not clued up much on both breeds so won't pretend I am but can I ask what would be the benefit of the cross? Surely if both from proven working stock then there shouldn't be a need to cross.

Never been attracted to the Alsatians for how they look but seeing a few vids on YouTube always looked impressive. The malinois caught my eye abit more because I've seen some really fit looking dogs which look real agile. In terms of guard dogs I like the boerboels but I'm guessing they are more guard dogs than protection? Only say that because they're such a heavier breed of dog. Would like one day to be on the end of a bite from either breed( in a bite suit of course).

Thank you for that photo jigsaw. He looks a fine beast, like him a lot.

He looks to come from working lines, is he eastern European?

phil he is off of a czech sire,and im told an imported bitch,he is grand if you only keep him alone but hes a nasty cnut with the other dogs,always trying to be dominant and snarling if he ever gets amongst them.....which he doesnt..he killed an 8 wk old bitch pup on me 12 months ago ,i went to answer the door and in a minute he did the deed.when a bitch comes in heat then hes wound up to the last,hes a smart fukka too,at 12 months old he learnt how to lift the latch with his nose and release all the inmates.one minute I was sitting watching tv,the next i look to see all the dogs running about loose in the garden,I had to buy locks then for the gates......not to keep any thiefs out but to keep the dogs in.it was a toss of a coin between a mali or a shepherd but I thought the mali would be too intense for a layabout guard dog......

Thank you jigsaw. lol he sounds like a character and to figure out how to open the gate that is amazing.

Been getting a lot of positives about this breed from a lot of people around me.

I found this link below of some czhec GS, look good.

http://www.jinopo.cz/main.php

Not clued up much on both breeds so won't pretend I am but can I ask what would be the benefit of the cross? Surely if both from proven working stock then there shouldn't be a need to cross.

Never been attracted to the Alsatians for how they look but seeing a few vids on YouTube always looked impressive. The malinois caught my eye abit more because I've seen some really fit looking dogs which look real agile. In terms of guard dogs I like the boerboels but I'm guessing they are more guard dogs than protection? Only say that because they're such a heavier breed of dog. Would like one day to be on the end of a bite from either breed( in a bite suit of course).

your right mate :thumbs: , if both breeds are from good working lines there no need to x them. But I think what happened a lot of gsd's in the UK are of show stock,and unhealthy with bad HD and other probs, so they started to use Bel mals as a out x to get more healthier dog. But the cops +army are starting to import CZ gsd's as oppose to breed from here, but its same with bel mals there crap in them as well ,same as gsd's you got to get the best lines out there . I used to have bullmastiffs in the 80s , and like your self liked a big type guard dog back then. But as said seeing CZ gsds and good bel mals work its deff changed my mind regards as guard dog . t he bloke I know who picks pups for the polce +army , got both breeds there from top lines. I was there one day and he was doing sleeve work with his bel mal , and his dog hit him like feckin rocket with full bite, the dog was only about 26in 70 odd lb , but the power of the thing was unreal . in real situation if it bite your arm or leg it would be hospital job :yes: , you deff don't need dog much bigger than a bel mal and the CZ gsd dogs are bigger norm than mals and the cops go for them 1st I was told .

Sounds good all this info. Bird, you seem to know your stuff as regards cz dogs. Some cz lines in my pup, but not a lot. If i ever get another one, i would most certainly go for a full cz bred GS.

I got gifted this pup from a friend and it was a nice surprise. She is doing so well, learning everything very quick.

Jigsaw, if i may ask, did you buy your german shepherd from ireland or the uk? is their any breeders of cz GS over here, do they have to be imported?

Edited by Phil Win

had a ordinary pet bred gsd about 10yrs back... she put me off gsds tbh. useless guard dog, wasnt able to even keep up on my daily cycle to feed my horses (about 8 miles round trip)

so i wanted a dog to protect myself and my home... german shepherds are on the restricted breed register in ireland along with most but not all protection dog breeds (nightmare if you are renting) so after many years of thinking about getting a malinois as they were not on the restricted breed list. i started looking at litters.. and on many malinois breeder websites id see the occasional pic of a brindle shepherd.. after looking into it i discovered they were dutch shepherds and next thing you know im going to view a dutch pup... would not look at a gsd at all now. hes nearly full grown now and honestly is a brilliant dog if you have time and energy for one... and lots of space.. hes such an easy dog to live with and spends all day patrolling my property... great with kids and dogs he knows... tolerates strangers if hes told they are ok. very high drive.

• Like 1

Sounds good all this info. Bird, you seem to know your stuff as regards cz dogs. Some cz lines in my pup, but not a lot. If i ever get another one, i would most certainly go for a full cz bred GS.

I got gifted this pup from a friend and it was a nice surprise. She is doing so well, learning everything very quick.

Jigsaw, if i may ask, did you buy your german shepherd from ireland or the uk? is their any breeders of cz GS over here, do they have to be imported?

I bought my dog locally from a trainer that was at the shutzhund championships in europe with his dog last year I believe,he holds classes and if you google ''DUHALLOW GERMAN SHEPHERD CLUB'' you will see him there.

• Like 1

The thing I like about Czech breeders is that they are not scared to outcross. For instance in the pedigree (I shouldn't use that word on this site) of my pup there are a couple of west German and a Dutch working GSD. The Czechs idea on this is that if the dog can do the work then it is a Czech type dog. If only our 'esteemed' kennel club could open their minds a bit and see sense

I bought my dog locally from a trainer that was at the shutzhund championships in europe with his dog last year I believe,he holds classes and if you google ''DUHALLOW GERMAN SHEPHERD CLUB'' you will see him there.

Thanks again jigsaw. :thumbs:

had a ordinary pet bred gsd about 10yrs back... she put me off gsds tbh. useless guard dog, wasnt able to even keep up on my daily cycle to feed my horses (about 8 miles round trip)

so i wanted a dog to protect myself and my home... german shepherds are on the restricted breed register in ireland along with most but not all protection dog breeds (nightmare if you are renting) so after many years of thinking about getting a malinois as they were not on the restricted breed list. i started looking at litters.. and on many malinois breeder websites id see the occasional pic of a brindle shepherd.. after looking into it i discovered they were dutch shepherds and next thing you know im going to view a dutch pup... would not look at a gsd at all now. hes nearly full grown now and honestly is a brilliant dog if you have time and energy for one... and lots of space.. hes such an easy dog to live with and spends all day patrolling my property... great with kids and dogs he knows... tolerates strangers if hes told they are ok. very high drive.

Carraghs, would you have a photo of your dutch shepherd? be nice to see. Thank you.

Carraghs, would you have a photo of your dutch shepherd? be nice to see. Thank you.

hes not full grown being only 8mths but heres a pic

post-53144-0-06483700-1411468282.jpeg