Applying For Fac , But What's Best For Different Quarry

What do you lads use for rabbits out to 120 yards (17 hmr may be )

Foxes out to about the same range

I'm asking because I don't want to apply for the wrong rifle and look daft, really I'm looking for advice from shooters that have got this experance , and can pass on there knowledge

Many thanks

Dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:hmm:   What may be easy for some is impossible for others, don't be too hasty to jump in.   My furthest rabbit with a HMR was 258 yards witnessed and confirmed on a range finder, another pal took

For rabbits and fox to 120yds and beyond i would consider both the hornets .17 and .22.

160 yard Rabbits 'easy' 17hmr. (yeh right) Check your range with a laser not your fantasy matey I don't think so. That's a long way, you can't even see a Rabbit properly from that far let alone 'hea

First time FAC, best to go for a .22 Rimfire & a 17hmr both with moderators.

It's not just what is 'suitable' or 'best' it'll be what 'they' will let you have as well on a first time application, and the above should be easy.

Personally I don't rate the 17 but it's probably best to get one and find out / decide for yourself, the two rifles will get you going

with fac experience, and you can shoot all vermin successfully. Foxes are borderline, but up close perfectly ok.

Centrefires can be got further down the road.

I have 500 and no it would be fine, 17grain is fine and you wouldn't really need any other grain size tbh.

Brand wise...they are all good and only ever being slightly better than thers so get a box of a few and have a go but apart from that I've found that they're not as finicky as .22lr ammo.

David,

I agree with the above that a rimfire would suit your needs and the HMR would be ideal for 120 yards rabbits,

However, if you need a centrefire because you intend shooting Foxes on a regular rather than opportunist basis then apply for one,

Members and shooters will say that "you won't get a centrefire on first grant". It's nonsense. If you need it, apply for it, it costs you absolutely nothing more to put it down on the form. For 120 yard Foxes, then for me, ideally it would be a .22 Hornet or if you're potentially going to be shooting further a .223.

SS :thumbs:

i was granted a cf on my first application, in fairness i did have the condition of a mentor with it so i just went with the hmr, and later discoverd the mentor thing is poppy cock. so as SS said if you need a CF then go for it.

Now I'm getting confused , I hope I haven't poked open a wasps nest

But this advice is invaluable to me , many thanks again to all who have helped

Dave

I really don't want to push the boat out with the fac officer ,,keep it simple and apply for my needs as you said sporting hunter , if you don't ask you don't get !

David,

I agree with the above that a rimfire would suit your needs and the HMR would be ideal for 120 yards rabbits,

However, if you need a centrefire because you intend shooting Foxes on a regular rather than opportunist basis then apply for one,

Members and shooters will say that "you won't get a centrefire on first grant". It's nonsense. If you need it, apply for it, it costs you absolutely nothing more to put it down on the form. For 120 yard Foxes, then for me, ideally it would be a .22 Hornet or if you're potentially going to be shooting further a .223.

SS :thumbs:

:yes: :yes: :thumbs: