Alright lads am fairly new to shooting and would like a few pointers.

Currently have a BSA lightning and love it. Set up to 35yards and it's spot on. I have a fairly decent scope fitted and it has 9x zoom.

Without sounding stupid I know if a rabbit Ect is closer you need to aim under and vice versor if it's longer away.

Question I have is say a rabbit it 35yards if I zoom in does that effect where I should be aiming?

Not really sure what effect the zoom has?

Cheers

Nope. Not unless your mil dots are calibrated.

You have to adjust your hold over and under accordingly if there not. Say the rabbit is 35 yards @ 9 x... aim dead on [no wind etc] but say you look at the same target @ 4 x mag, aim dead on. if the rabbit is not at your zero range, you have to judge what an inch is etc etc and adjust accordingly what you think the trajectory is of your pellet.

Ahh that's really helpful mate cheers.

@35 yards it's not the best shooting zoomed right out but I didn't want to zoom in in case it effected my aim.

I will get some targets out and have a mess about with different ranges and using the zoom.

Pretty sure once I have got to grips with the gun and scope I will be laughing.

Im pretty sure it doesn't SimonC, technically, a few mil maybe due to shooting technique being used to a higher mag, but it is the same 'line of sight'. By zooming in or out doesn't 'bend' the line of site... its infinitely straight. The aim points or mil dots will be different of course, some scopes being set up for 10x = a true inch, 1/2 inch etc. Of course, at 4 mag, that inch will be 6 x less the size. But the POI is the same.

Im questioning myself now :)

Simple answer - changing zoom should not change POI.

Go to Hawke Scopes web site and download thier free balistic program. Put in the details then check at different magnifications what the readings are on your reticule. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I have a hawke panorama and if for example if I am shooting at 10x mag a target at 40yds my holdover is 1 mil dot, but if I then change to say 6xmag and shoot at same target with 1 mil hold over my pellet impacts higher. Can be quite confusing so I tend to zero at 8x mag and leave it at that

Im pretty sure it doesn't SimonC, technically, a few mil maybe due to shooting technique being used to a higher mag, but it is the same 'line of sight'. By zooming in or out doesn't 'bend' the line of site... its infinitely straight. The aim points or mil dots will be different of course, some scopes being set up for 10x = a true inch, 1/2 inch etc. Of course, at 4 mag, that inch will be 6 x less the size. But the POI is the same.

Im questioning myself now :)

Read the second part of the first line in my answer. It might not have been written as clearly as it could have been I suppose.

It will affect the shot if you are using a mildot or one of the other aiming points other than the cross in the middle.

Unless you have a first focal plane scope of course.

• Like 1

Who can actually hold a rifle steady @ 10 x to be honest... it would be interesting to find out. No dig at you timmy, I know a lot of shooters shot @ 10, Im just wondering.

I myself, use 2.5 x mag for game, standing shots etc. 6 x for hft.