Not Even Started And Have First Injury

Out this morning for a walk at half 5, good hours walk before work, not much distance just letting her follow scents through the brambles and she gets the odd chase, as I'm walking bk with her just 2 mins before I get home she slipped on some steps with damp slippy moss on them about 4ft high and caught bk foot, wasn't much of a fall but made a nice gash in her foot, suppose that's little whippets I suppose accident prone 3617104B-DF1F-40D3-B664-E0C50BECF784_zps

give it a good flush with saline pull the skin up and two stitches to hold the skin flap in place give it a dip in saline two three times a day for 3 days then just let it dry up and heal only a skin wound

Edited by desertbred

Thanks for the advice is it a vet job if so what price we talking, gona ring em after work and find out, just need an idea so not to get ripped off thanks bw

No, doesn't really look like it needs vets mate. It will prob heal on it's own but as said, a couple of stitches or staples will speed up the healing process. And keep it clean!

If you can't afford to get it stitched, then clean with salt water gently once a day. Keep it covered until the flesh starts to granulate: for a wound that size it needs to heal from the edges inwards and will gradually shrink in size, at the same time as forming new flesh across the open bit. The trick is not to let it get infected if you let it heal naturally. Once the edges of the skin have stuck themselves back down to the underlying tissue you can let the dog keep it clean by licking, which will also help to speed up healing, but if the dog shows signs of nagging at it continually you may need to keep it covered for a week or so. The whole process shouldn't take more than 3 weeks, but it will leave a bigger scar than if you'd had it stitched.

I've cleaned down the wound with salt water and I've got some hypocare infection spray that I'm going to apply 3 times a day which will itself clean and kill any infection, I'm not all fused if she has a scar as she's not a show dog at the end of the day, aslong as it doesn't affect her physically running or cause her any problems. She's not touching it herself as she looks pretty pist off and I think she's trying to ignore the fact it there, thanks for the advice skycat, that's a pretty big cut that kev did you have to get that stitched or did you let that heal naturally?

I've cleaned down the wound with salt water and I've got some hypocare infection spray that I'm going to apply 3 times a day which will itself clean and kill any infection, I'm not all fused if she has a scar as she's not a show dog at the end of the day, aslong as it doesn't affect her physically running or cause her any problems. She's not touching it herself as she looks pretty pist off and I think she's trying to ignore the fact it there, thanks for the advice skycat, that's a pretty big cut that kev did you have to get that stitched or did you let that heal naturally?

Got it stitched mate and he pulled em all out !! Healed naturally after that took a good while

Pissed off? Read 'in pain'. If something hurts too much for a dog to lick it then it leaves it alone. If you look at the angle of the wound, and the biggest flap of skin: when she does get around to licking it she will lick it downwards, down her leg, which will open it up even more. So put some Savlon (or any antiseptic cream, just to stop it sticking to the wound) on a piece of lint, and bandage the wound: it needs to be kept covered for a few days as I said. But check and change the dressing every 24 hours. Any sign of pus, smell means it has become infected.

Hypocare spray is good stuff but horses aren't the same as dogs as their skins are so thick and open wounds on horses are usually left to heal naturally and they also don't lick at their wounds like dogs do. Dog saliva contains enzymes which kill bacteria so it is good to let them lick their wounds as long as they don't over do it and make it worse.

Once the healing has begun you can leave the wound uncovered, but at the moment air getting to it is making it much more painful for the dog.