Distance Through The Scope

Can you watch the text talk please Paul?

In answer to your question, no, not necessarily. It would all depend on the power of your gun, the magnification of the scope etc. You'll have to try it over different distance and see for yourself. :thumbs:

Sorry mate, I'm not really an airgunner, so I'm not qualified to answer that. Personally, I'd zero at whatever range I was most likely to shoot at, but I'm sure one of the airgun fraternity will be along shortly to put you straight. :thumbs:

Get out and kill some paper then set your gun to what ever you feel comfortable at them you should know how much higher to aim at a rabbit further away. As wash lie says there's no set guides due to all the different makes of guns and scopes

Pace out 20yd put a card out

Pace out 25yd put a card out

pace out 30yd put a card out

And so on to 40yd

Then study them distances for a while get a decent idea on the yardages in your head

I'd set my zero around 30 yard on most cal gun's

put a dot in marker pen on each card after zeroing at 30yd then shoot the cards all lined up at different ranges bang on your cross hair centre then using your mill dots to see where the shot hit on the card compared to where you aimed (the dot on card centre)

thus showing where you are hitting compared to where you are aiming ie how much hold over / hold under you need at the different ranges it works fine for me but you need a good idea in your head the ranges your shooting at but practice will improve this to be bang on invest in a rangefinder hope this makes sense and helps but for the love of god please don't go testing this on live animals get bang on on paper before even thinking about going after vermin

Matt

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 2

Pace out 20yd put a card out

Pace out 25yd put a card out

pace out 30yd put a card out

And so on to 40yd

Then study them distances for a while get a decent idea on the yardages in your head

I'd set my zero around 30 yard on most cal gun's

put a dot in marker pen on each card after zeroing at 30yd then shoot the cards all lined up at different ranges bang on your cos hair centre then using your mill dots to see where the shot hit on the card compared to where you aimed (the dot on card centre)

thus showing where you are hitting compared to where you are aiming ie how much hold over / hold under you need at the different ranges it works fine for me but you need a good idea in your head the ranges your shooting at but practice will improve this to be bang on invest in a rangefinder hope this makes sense and helps but for the love of god please don't go testing this on live animals get bang on on paper before even thinking about going after vermin

Matt

I think this sums it up perfectly. Use this approach and then practice, practice, practice until you're confident youre capable of judging the distance correctly and hitting a one inch kill zone consistently and then you won't go far wrong. :D

There is a lot of testing and practice to be done, don't forget that the distance between mil dots alters as you increase/ decrease magnification as well. Stick to one setting to start with + write all your results down !!