Police Call To My House After Shooting In My Garden.

Some people just do not have anything better to do than to cause grief for others. As I live in a built up area of Birmingham I tend to limit my air gun shooting in my own garden to my low powered air pistol at about 6m into a steel trap backed by a thick wooden backstop.

My former neighbour however had in the past reported me for having a loud television (funny really as although I owned a TV it had not been turned on in over 12 months) as well as for playing loud music and for calling my dog late at night. Oddly none of these complaints were true however as he was a council tenant it was sufficient reason for the council to move him and his family to a new council house in a different area to get away from this 'bad neighbour'.

However all shooting sports seem to be unpopular with non-shooters. I can remember when back in 1997 when the law changed to ban the ownership of rim and centre fire pistols that a then co-worker told me that in her mother's loft was her father's ex-miltary pistol. I then tried to explain that surely she could see that as an unlicensed gun unknown to the authorities that this was obviously at greater risk of being misused. She kindly told me that I must be 'psycho' to want to legally own guns in the first place and that she could see no harm in her mother's possession of her late father's pistol as she did not want to shoot it.

My father is always telling me how wrong the government was to ban the legal ownership of FAC pistols. He states it has not made the country any safer and if saving peoples lives was the primary reason for banning guns then the Harold Shipman fiasco should have led to the banning of doctors treating patients unsupervised!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just had one almighty blazing row with a neighbour who took it upon himself to call the police after I was shooting in my garden. I have to declare, I am very fortunate to have an acre of lawns

I think I once shot at the church bell where I used to live as a youngster 4sight. And I don't recall anyone getting into a blue fit over it. I've posted before about my memories of my dad and the sho

I can remember when we used to shoot at the church bell. No-one took any notice. Those were the days

Absolutely. And, like they say, it's not normally the registered gun owners you have to worry about...

Problem is, it only takes one high-profile accident or crime involving a firearm or air weapon, and risk is that the nanny state will do the knee-jerk thing all over again...