Murphy's First Day Out...

After bonding with Murphy I decided to take him out this morning after work. There was thick fog as we made out across the fields, one man & dog either side of the hedge. Murphy was hitting the hedgerows like his life depended on it, my first gundog & I could watch him hunt all day.

We walked down to the big wood where theres always a few crows/pigeons. I had 6 shots & hit nothing, Murphy looked at me expectantly....his disappointment continued.

A pigeon flew over on our way back up & I clipped it with the 2nd barrel & Steve finished it. It dropped over into the next field so I went through to send Murphy for it. Got through the hedge no sign of him, within seconds Murphy was racing full speed back to me carrying his prize. The gulley was 70yds away & really thick cover, Murphy obviously seen it drop even though we were adamant it had dropped in the standing corn. Moving up to the higher fields we spent a fruitless hour sitting in a hide, Murphy never moved just sat waiting patiently. I decided to see how Steve was doing & walked along when he nailed a crow, Murphy was sent on & retrieved the bird to hand perfectly. He took directions well & impressed us both. The temperature was rising & taking its toll on us all so after another crow & a magpie that was stuck in the tree top we headed home. I'm really pleased with Murphy so far, everything Bradford Lad told me was spot on. Thanks again mate

image_zps7b61afc8.jpg

image_zps25defbbe.jpg

• Like 2

For sure mate, plenty of pheasants kicking about on this farm & reckon we'll have some decent days cone the winter. Plenty work to do getting the hoppers sorted & hopefully talk the farmer round into letting us dig a pond. Murphy & the terrier have decided they want to kennel together mate, they're like a homosexual couple as Ernie has managed to climb through the bars lol

Yeah mate the least I can do is offer BL a couple of days sport after the favour he done me. He was good enough to hold Murphy for me until I finished my kennels so I'm very grateful. Sure he won't mind me saying that he asked me for less money than he advertised him for. Dogs as well trained go for 4x the price. Just shows how genuine a bloke he is, the right home was more important than money. I'd never bought a dog in 10yrs & prob never will again, Murphy seemed to good an offer to pass on & I'm pleased I took him.

• Like 1