Tips For Charlie

I agree with Rake, either get somebody local with a cf to shoot the fox, or if the old boy wont have it get yourself a .222 dont bother with the poxy hmr and you will be able to slot him at 200 yards easily, stink pit is the way to go, I have yet to see a fox that could resist it, especially a fox past his prime, and a hungry belly.

Other thing to do is watch where the fox comes from.

It's unlikely he gets to the middle of the field hitching a lift with Fox Air, so watch to see which hedgerow he comes out of. Then find the path through. All you need do then is set up a camo hide flush to the hedgrow about 20 yards away from where he comes out and preferably downwind taking into account the usual wind direction. Leave it in situ for a few days unattended (don't go near it as you want the scent to fade) and after a few days watch for Charlie from a distance and check to see if he's still coming through.

If he is, next day get in the hide in advance of his usual "show time" and wait (in camo) with the rifle in position. Stay still and don't make a noise. If he comes on his rounds, pop you have your shot from a nice 20 yard range. Use the shotty if you're unsure of a fast shot with the .22 just in case he sees you and turns. That said, if you don't make a noise or visibly move, you probably won't disturb him or will just cause him to stop and look. Only if you scare him, will he bolt.

A heavy load of No: 1 or BB will do the job from the shotgun - aim for the head. Take a look at (Gamebore Mammoth High Bird if magnum proofed or Buffalo if not, or Hull Solway Magnum or Ultramax HP). From the rifle, I'm sure you know the drill. If you want a slightly heavier load but can't get 1's or BB's, No: 3's are also OK.

Edited by Alsone

Thanks for all the tips chaps. Built me a stink pit last night with a dead calf and a couple chicken carcasses, just need to wait for it to 'mature' a bit. Shouldn't take long if recent weather is anything to go by.. Also chucked up a quick camo hide (upwind of course). Think I'll leave it until Thursday night and head out in the wee hours to see if I can spot the sod.

Again, cheers for the advice one and all, I'll keep you updated.

Mick

Evening gents, sorry to keep you all in suspense. Been away with work for a week so had no chance to get out yet. But on the plus side charlie will have had plenty of time to get used to the half-arsed hide I threw up. Spoke to the farmer last night, he's been keeping an eye out and there's been a couple sightings at the stink pit while I was away. Looks like we're on! Out tomorrow night to hopefully wrap it up.