Funny How Things Have Changed

when i was a lad,my old man would pull up on the estate take the shotty out the boot no gun bag throw a couple dead bunnies over his shoulder and walk across the green into the house no one batted an eyelid.

as kids we all knew how to make a catapult and we used the black square elastic,now days people buy them ready varnished no less with modern bands to match.

i was given my first air rifle.old at around 8 years old it was .177 mercury and told the never never let your gun pointed be at anyone phrase before being let loose with me mates up the field,today you would have a swat team dropping in on you from a chopper.

as kids we would camp out,fish light fires carve our names in trees and make dens,getting my lad off a games console is becoming a bore.

we would do chores for the elderly round my way,and they would buy eels off us for a few pennies leading to pockets stuffed with half penny chews.

we would throw darts at trees and chip kerbs with hammers to get a spark.

we would make go carts from old prams and tow them with our push bikes.

we would get up in the night creep out the house meet up and go hedgehog hunting,remember filling the shopping basket up on me mums push bike with them.

just a few things we would get up to as kids,yes we got into a bit of mischief,selling potatoes we dug from the fields,or bakers baskets on our go carts full of daffs we knicked but never got into any serious trouble.

what did you get up to as kids,my lad was interested to know and when i told him he thought i was fecking mad so lets here it from yourselves cheers :thumbs:

• Like 3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

am i reading this right your only 23 and would hate to be young again ?lol

Crossing the river to ride the pit ponies .... Grass bank sliding when the summer came then sledging the same hill in the winter ..spending days on the mountain wimberry picking and selling them by th

when i was a lad,my old man would pull up on the estate take the shotty out the boot no gun bag throw a couple dead bunnies over his shoulder and walk across the green into the house no one batted an

Same as that with added make shitloadsa money finding and selling golf balls lol and getting chased by the council parkies lmao we also used to make tree swings and go swimming in the lake next to a tiplol that stopped though after the feckin started burying the carcasses from the mad cow disease epidemic in the late 80's

All the above plus tickling trout and salmon ... hunting rats around the river and neighbours chicken sheds ... Collecting the old pop bottles and cashing them in for a few pennies ... I am sure I spent most of my childhood under a self made shelter on the mountain eating whatever we caught ... Trout rabbit squirrel rooks etc or whatever we got off the trees ... Apples cherries pears etc ... Be up at first light cross the river and nick a pint of milk off a doorstep for breakfast ... Brilliant times ........

• Like 3

Scrumping, hand lining at the local stately house lake, nesting to create an egg collection and trying out ways to make snares for rabbits. You'd get sent to hell if you did any of them now.

spent a night in hospital with severe belly ache after one of scrumping raids :laugh:

• Like 1

All the above plus tickling trout and salmon ... hunting rats around the river and neighbours chicken sheds ... Collecting the old pop bottles and cashing them in for a few pennies ... I am sure I spent most of my childhood under a self made shelter on the mountain eating whatever we caught ... Trout rabbit squirrel rooks etc or whatever we got off the trees ... Apples cherries pears etc ... Be up at first light cross the river and nick a pint of milk off a doorstep for breakfast ... Brilliant times ........

think it was 10p back on a pop bottle as long as it had a screw lid :thumbs:

Yhea it was something like that ... We used to climb the fence to the pop yard nick the empties then sell them back to them lol ......

Yhea it was something like that ... We used to climb the fence to the pop yard nick the empties then sell them back to them lol ......

sure the company round our way was called corona,good job we never new where their yard was lol

Yhea we had a corona and a Lewis I think it was the corona yard was next to the British legion we would climb onto the British legion flat roof run along it and there was a big old tree that grew right up out of the pop depot and past the roof ... It was easy lol ........

we would prop bakers trays up with sticks and string attached put bread round and under and hide in shed waiting to pull the string, caught plenty starlings.

i had a pet magpie that would sleep on my bedroom window sill.

climbing trees was a favourite pass time.

we would hide out in the fields smoking home made cigars with rolled up toilet paper and cough for england :laugh: