Preparing A Skull ??????

I've been meaning to do a fox skull for a while now. I've done a bit of research but any tips and advice would be welcome.

I should add soaking in cold water and washing powder seems an easy option but is it the best ???

My mate did a deer skull a while back and he used some sort of beetles in a tank to eat all the flesh. :bad:

I was thinking bbq......... but I didn't want to char the bone. :laugh:

I did read about them and it does send a shiver down the spine. The humble maggot is another option which could on the other hand give me an edge in the fishing comp :D

When I do a deer skull I chuck it in with the ferrets first ... Them little munchkins get it plenty clean ........

Good shout :thumbs: ................................. When theses kits get a bit bigger they'll be like a school of piranha.

Skinned it yesterday popped it in carry bag which cost me 5p :D , place it in an old rat and trap and cover it with leaves in the garden . I'll put a few pics up in a few weeks .

I was tempted to cut a cheek off and have a taste :tongue2: but that could be a whole different thread on it's own. The flesh does leave a pungent smell on your hands for a bit.................... different to musky smell of the fur.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a few, left the head in an ant bed or outside for a month or so and let nature take it's courses, but not the best. A friend of mine did the attached picture of an 8pt I killed a few years ago. He boiled it and then bleached it with cheap bleach from the grocery store, then stained the antlers as close to the origional color as possible. He charged me 75 dollars.

Notice the broken left main, it was a fresh break from rutting.....which I consider character!

post-95737-0-11442500-1406411715.jpg

Edited by ElectronJockey
  • Like 1

I would do it the same way as a deer head....cut of as much flesh as you can ...boil it off (best done outside as it stinks ) jet wash any remaining bits ....then bleach using hydrogen peroxide 35%..i pack cotton wool in the eye sockets etc, then wrap in cotton wool (soaked in hy peroxide).Then wrap in crape bandage & leave for a couple of day ...should come out pure white ...PS .WEAR GLOVES WHEN USING THE BLEACH ...

• Like 2