Hancocks lurchers

Guest spartancombat

Guest spartancombat

I guess I opened a [bANNED TEXT] old can of worms! Sorry,just wanted some opinions and certainly got it thanks! :thumbs:

I think I have been swayed to stroke it off my list,and will just look for a decent pup off some "working" parents. I doubt he would have a lot of time to work the dogs he's got on his site. The look ok,but think its a safer bet off working stock.

Cheers for your replies. :signthankspin:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldnt give you a scientific reason but could tell you plenty of times were only the best (for the required job ) is used , One for a start race horse's you dont see a old nag on the farm breed with a derby winning horse because like anything selectively breed you are playing a numbers game by using animals up to the task in hand , and there fore you hope to up your odds of producing animals up to the grade wanted . If it was easy as you say no one would go to the trouble of breeding the best to a best because i could get any two old greyhounds and produce derby winners .

I guess I opened a [bANNED TEXT] old can of worms! Sorry,just wanted some opinions and certainly got it thanks! :thumbs:

I think I have been swayed to stroke it off my list,and will just look for a decent pup off some "working" parents. I doubt he would have a lot of time to work the dogs he's got on his site. The look ok,but think its a safer bet off working stock.

Cheers for your replies. :signthankspin:

Imho for what it is worth you have made a wise choice , Good luck with what ever you get .

im all in faver of a bit of hancock bashing but

this has been done time and time again

what is it they say you cant educate pork

and another you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear

if these lads want to get a dog bread for colour and profit

rather than a dog bread to improve the line

feck it let them

bollox

why should we get all worked up

that another litter of dogs are bred for the bullet

in a year or twos time

you go buy your hancock dog fella

put your money in some peddlers pocket

and take your chances

is it worth me banging my head agenst the wall :wallbash::wallbash:

bolox is it :big_boss:

I fully apprciate what you both say and don't disagree with either off you. Horses being a prime example.

My current whippet came from working stock.

But if you had someone who bread two lurchers. Both male and from working parents but one pup went to a pet home and never saw a rabbit. The other went to a working home and caught hundreds of rabits, hare fox and dear. It would make sense to breed from the worker, no one could argue that? But, what about the pet(litter brother) it would be a non worker but have a similer genetic make up to its brother - would you breed from it or not?

I am open minded and cant make up my mind on this one. I fully appreciate and understand where you are comming from and agree it makes sense to breed from workers but I am not convinced that you are guarenteed to get a worker. You still need to put the work in and could you turn a show dog into worker by actually working it? who knows?

Still, it is a very intresting topic.

Same old same old, blar blar blar :boredom:

For all the negatives you'll hear about David and Sally's dogs you will hear just as many positives so don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of owning one Spartan.

Fact is a vast majority of people no longer mention that they own a Hancock bred lurcher or a Plumber terrier/lurcher for fear of being shot at by people who really aught to know better.

SJM I respect your opinion, although I do not know you, you do speak a lot of sense and obviously know your dogs. I really have no intention of upsetting you or getting in to an argument with you but, how can you claim you know Hancock dogs when you have only owned one, an adult trained by someone else at that and why oh why would you expect a half cross to take Hares. I wouldn't ask a Shire to run the Grand national.

I wouldn't swap my Beardie half cross bitch for any other dog in the country. At a year old she is showing so much promise, I really couldn't ask anymore of her. To say I'm happy is an understatement but, then again, as I'm sure all the knockers will say, I must be easily pleased.

Edited by Magpie
How many lurchers are there about that have been bred and the parents have done barely nothing, a shocking amount...theres lots of pork pies and fish tales to go along with them too...
correct.........but do your homework and have some paitence and be willing to wait and to travel any distance to get the right dog then you will get one .....if you go picking a pup in a hurry and just listen to the shite half off the folk come out with when selling there litter then thats down to them .....people say you have to be in the right circles to get the right dog ....that can be true .......but if you keep pushing and pestering the right folk you will get what you want .......it just takes time ....theres a few folk off here who i trust and would buy a pup off ...and theres a few i wouldnt ...........homework is the key 8) all the best snoop ..... chalky your post are nearly getting as long as ditch shitters ... :laugh::laugh: you know what will happen then....no f****r will read them ....... :laugh::laugh::laugh: .....

The truth is, there is no guarantee's what ever breed or whoever you buy a pup from! But you can sway the odds in your favour with a few simple factors. Do your homework and dont be in a rush, if you have to wait a few months for the right pup so what.

Guest bitsa lurcher
The truth is, there is no guarantee's what ever breed or whoever you buy a pup from! But you can sway the odds in your favour with a few simple factors. Do your homework and dont be in a rush, if you have to wait a few months for the right pup so what.

this goes to the man considering buying a hancocks READ THE ABOVE QUOTE and follow it to the letter and you won't go far wrong :thumbs:

How many lurchers are there about that have been bred and the parents have done barely nothing, a shocking amount...theres lots of pork pies and fish tales to go along with them too...
correct.........but do your homework and have some paitence and be willing to wait and to travel any distance to get the right dog then you will get one .....if you go picking a pup in a hurry and just listen to the shite half off the folk come out with when selling there litter then thats down to them .....people say you have to be in the right circles to get the right dog ....that can be true .......but if you keep pushing and pestering the right folk you will get what you want .......it just takes time ....theres a few folk off here who i trust and would buy a pup off ...and theres a few i wouldnt ...........homework is the key 8) all the best snoop ..... chalky your post are nearly getting as long as ditch shitters ... :laugh::laugh: you know what will happen then....no f****r will read them ....... :laugh::laugh::laugh: .....

How very,.very dareth you Snoop... :D

Folk will read em matey peeps,.don't you worry about that,..hosay

... :

Coz,.some of us have the facts,.whilst others merely 'theorise'..... :haha:

But ,.just for you,...I'll get me coat.... :bye::bye::bye::bye:

I suppose it depends on what you consider a worker, as Chalkwarren says very few owners test their dogs to the full.

I've been out with dogs that their owners thought were the business and I wouldn't have had them in the kennel but their owners went on to breed from them.

i will read them CHALKY ... :whistling::laugh::laugh::laugh: but if you keep putting pics up off sky and then i say its a cracking dog ..then you take the pic down ...are you trying to make me look a clown /// :whistling::laugh::laugh: or do i do that job well without any help from you :laugh::laugh: all the best snoop :feck: