Gashed Foot

My bitch has got a gash on the back of her foot, not massively deep but more open, I bandaged it closed yesterday after cleaning it and it closed by this morning but opened again when she was messing around what's the best way to get it healed without getting raped by the vet? I 've heard about super glue but is that safe?

Thanks chaps, so I don't need to keep it closed? Just keep it clean and out of her way with a bandage, sock or something?

personally i would leave it open as the dog will keep it clean, along with holding the foot in warm salted water two or three time a day,

Thanks chaps, so I don't need to keep it closed? Just keep it clean and out of her way with a bandage, sock or something?

personally i would leave it open as the dog will keep it clean, along with holding the foot in warm salted water two or three time a day,

Cheers Paulus, thanks for the advise

Micky

Without seeing a photo of the wound it is hard to say, but in general, so long as a wound only affects the skin, doesn't expose underlying tendons/ligaments/muscle/bone, and is less than a centimetre wide or long, it will heal on its own very well, providing it is not in a very moveable area such as the back of the wrist or foot where there is constant flexing of a joint.

Keep dog quiet for a week, or until the wound has 'settled': in other words, stopped bleeding at every movement and has started to granulate, which is the term for new tissue growing. Wounds that remain open: a hole instead of a sliced cut, can heal just as well, but take longer through what is called 'secondary intention' as opposed to 'primary intention' where the edges of the wound would be stitched together. If the dog can't reach it to keep it clean with its tongue, then you should bathe gently every day with salt water.

Without seeing a photo of the wound it is hard to say, but in general, so long as a wound only affects the skin, doesn't expose underlying tendons/ligaments/muscle/bone, and is less than a centimetre wide or long, it will heal on its own very well, providing it is not in a very moveable area such as the back of the wrist or foot where there is constant flexing of a joint.

Keep dog quiet for a week, or until the wound has 'settled': in other words, stopped bleeding at every movement and has started to granulate, which is the term for new tissue growing. Wounds that remain open: a hole instead of a sliced cut, can heal just as well, but take longer through what is called 'secondary intention' as opposed to 'primary intention' where the edges of the wound would be stitched together. If the dog can't reach it to keep it clean with its tongue, then you should bathe gently every day with salt water.

Thanks Skycat,

it is looks like its getting better i have left it open last night after i bathed it in warm salty water and put a sock on her this morning to take her out didnt let her off lead though just a quick walk to do her business and then taken it off again and bathed it before work, it looks clean and healing its not a centimeter deep nor wide so i'll just keep this routine and keep an eye on it, thank for all the advice chaps,

Micky

using salt water is good to prevent initial infection from setting in but if used every day it slows down the healing process. if its a small cut just leave it well alone and she will take care of it. don't stop her from licking it she'll keep it cleaner than any bandage because puss or infection wont have a chance to settle. I had a lurcher here 6 or 7 years ago and a staffy I had took a lump of his shoulder about 2" round right to the muscle. there was a 2" round hole where you could see the muscle. I gave him 1ml of penicillin and kept an eye on him and after about 8 to 10 weeks he was fully healed. If I had of washed him with salt water every day and used bandages it would have took longer to heal. there is a spray you can get in any agri store that kills infection and helps healing, its called Aluspray and you only need to use it 2 or 3 times a week but for a cut as small as you say I would just leave well alone. atb

• Like 1