• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only just gone and smashed my PB. I was reeling in one rod to pack away, when the other went off.   13lb 7oz.     Over the moon.

I am a BARBEL fisherman.       Get in.............

Objective achieved!! A River Dove double. Get in.........   Only taken me two and a half seasons.     10lb 10oz. My new personal best.     HAVE IT!!

Posted Images

Don't be silly. Done as in gone home. Done as in pis#ed off. Done as in can't catch. That sort of done.

No fish...........Again.

Have you tried fishing at the back end of fast water where it starts to drop off in to deeper water . Ive always done better in well oxygenated faster water in summer rather than the slower moving deeper pegs . Dont know if you have any pegs like that on your stretch but if you have its well worth fishing them and ingnoring where most of the other anglers fish

The Dove is a funny river. Most of the big Barbel are in one stretch, most of the fishing gets done in this stretch. There are some faster swims with streamer weed in them. They don't seem to be fished very often. One or two drop offs, but not many. Most of the swims that are fished regularly are in the deeper water. It does go through though. 2-3oz leads and feeders required.

Very rarely do you see Barbel in the river, only ever seen one. That was on a patch of gravel cleaning it's self. There's 9 1/2 miles to go at, i've walked most of it, and TBH the stretch i'm fishing at the moment looks the most fishy. Unfortunatly, I can't catch. I have fished other stretches of the river, faster stretches, still didn't catch.

I'm off later. I've spoken to 2 of the lads that are catching. Seems i'm putting too much bait in. I spoke to one of them Saturday, he'd only put 5 Boilies in, he'd had 2 fish that night. A 10 and a 13. I caught my usual.................Sweet FA.

Thats what i do on the ribble with bait , one on the hair and a couple of crushed and a couple of whole boilies in a mesh bag and nothing else . Ive watched people turn up and fill it in with hemp and whatever else theyre using and struggle. What boilies are you using , it might just be that they are not keen on them . If you,ve not tried them have a look at dynamites the crave or innovate baits squid2t my mate and me have done well on both of them in recent seasons

Don't be silly. Done as in gone home. Done as in pis#ed off. Done as in can't catch. That sort of done.

No fish...........Again.

Have you tried fishing at the back end of fast water where it starts to drop off in to deeper water . Ive always done better in well oxygenated faster water in summer rather than the slower moving deeper pegs . Dont know if you have any pegs like that on your stretch but if you have its well worth fishing them and ingnoring where most of the other anglers fish

The Dove is a funny river. Most of the big Barbel are in one stretch, most of the fishing gets done in this stretch. There are some faster swims with streamer weed in them. They don't seem to be fished very often. One or two drop offs, but not many. Most of the swims that are fished regularly are in the deeper water. It does go through though. 2-3oz leads and feeders required.

Very rarely do you see Barbel in the river, only ever seen one. That was on a patch of gravel cleaning it's self. There's 9 1/2 miles to go at, i've walked most of it, and TBH the stretch i'm fishing at the moment looks the most fishy. Unfortunatly, I can't catch. I have fished other stretches of the river, faster stretches, still didn't catch.

I'm off later. I've spoken to 2 of the lads that are catching. Seems i'm putting too much bait in. I spoke to one of them Saturday, he'd only put 5 Boilies in, he'd had 2 fish that night. A 10 and a 13. I caught my usual.................Sweet FA.

Thats what i do on the ribble with bait , one on the hair and a couple of crushed and a couple of whole boilies in a mesh bag and nothing else . Ive watched people turn up and fill it in with hemp and whatever else theyre using and struggle. What boilies are you using , it might just be that they are not keen on them . If you,ve not tried them have a look at dynamites the crave or innovate baits squid2t my mate and me have done well on both of them in recent seasons

The info I got last time may have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Spoke to someone else and he's said the two lads who told me about not putting loads of bait in are a little economical with the truth sometimes. They both fish the river nearly every night and if they don't catch, they'll prebait that swim for the next night. Totally confused now............

Anyway, I haven't caught by feeding loads so I'm here now and we'll see what happens.

As regards the boilies Neil. Mostly Nash Halibut 15mm, feeding 8mm and 3mm Elips pellets. Or ground up pellets in the feeder.

Does my head in when people try to stitch you up on the bank . You can sort of understand why they do it but there's no real need for it . It might be worth prebaiting a couple of swims for a day or 2 if that's what they are doing and there's not a big head of barbel . The reason hardly any bait works for me on the ribble is because it's full of barbel and chub so your never far from them . Nash baits should be ok , I've done well on a few of his baits in the past and halibut flavour is as good as anything and elips pellets are used by loads of people on nearly every river so there won't be a problem with them .

Home now after an horrendous detour because the A50 was shut. No fish again, although the guy I spoke with had one. It's getting that bad now I can see myself having to ask Walshie what to do

Suicide would be a better option :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Home now after an horrendous detour because the A50 was shut. No fish again, although the guy I spoke with had one. It's getting that bad now I can see myself having to ask Walshie what to do

Well it sounds like they don't like boilies. :thumbs:

Well it sounds like they don't like boilies. :thumbs:

now there speaks a man in the know lol

• Like 1

Arch get some pics in the view from your swim thread, we've seen plenty of "views" from your swim.... :D

:D .. can't see the point of lugging all his fishing gear to the swim, Arch should just take the camera lol

• Like 1