F.a.o Jigsaw: Noggin The Kelpie

Neal

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, that's weird! All those times I tried to put a photo of Noggin up as a pup and nothing happened and I've just tried again out of the blue and it worked.   He's about ten months old in this ph

The first link you sent does not work, it's telling me you have moved or deleted the photos. The second link is fine.     Edited to add that as your bucket is open I can see other pics and copy

...and another.   He's turning into a lovely dog; having a bit of a juvenile delinquent stage at the moment but I'm sure he'll grow out of it. He's far more relaxed and easy going than Scout due to

I've just emailed three photos to Tiercel (via photobucket I hasten to add and it pasted them without any problems). Tried it again straight to here but still not working. I'm certain it must be something I'm neglecting to do but no idea what. :hmm:

The first link you sent does not work, it's telling me you have moved or deleted the photos.

The second link is fine.

temporary-5.jpg

Edited to add that as your bucket is open I can see other pics and copy and paste them for you.

temporary-1.jpg

temporary-2.jpg

temporary.jpg

temporary-3.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

Thanks Tiercel. :thumbs:

The first photo was actually the second one I was sent of him, when he was one month old...reminds me of a Tasmanian devil in that one. The next two were taken on the same day while he was out in the local wood with Scout...I think he was about eleven weeks old...but started on the beer already.

The next one was when he was about three months old and the final one was on the day I brought him home so he was seven weeks and six days.

Neal.....how vocal do you find the breed at home. I've always liked the look of them, but this old lady in the woods used to take her sons kelpie and collie out with her spaniel, it was a stunning looking dog and racy with it too, but by christ it never stopped barking.....something I have to be mindful of with neighbours.

I spoke to her son about the kelpie asking how it compared to his border collie as they did agility comps etc with them, he said the collie was brilliant, always waiting on commands, whereas the kelpie was more wanting to get on with it rather than waiting on his owners commands as much....which I think would be quite useful.

Edited by wuyang

Wuyang, I find the vocal nature of kelpies varies depending on breeding and upbringing. My bitch makes a fair bit of noise behind a rabbit, as she's not fast enough in the open, and barks when she's treed a squirrel. However, her breeding is slightly different to my two males who are far calmer (I'll write more about that in a separate post).

Despite that, they're all fairly quiet at home and in fact when one of my neighbours saw me walking the dogs during the day, a month or so after moving home, she said she hadn't realised I had dogs.

As to your other point, they definitely work differently to most collies. It's not that they're disobedient but rather that they tend to know best and act on their own initiative. One quote I like, which sums it up well, is that if you ask a collie to do something it will say, "What next?" whereas a kelpie will ask, "Why?" You could turn them into push button dogs but you'd loose whatever it is that makes them kelpies.

Thanks for that Neal. I read an interesting article regarding some sheep farmer who brought up a border collie and a kelpie at the same time and kept a blog on their progress comparing them. Looking foward to seeing some pics of yours he grows.

I've read that blog...obviously started out very biased.

I think the main problem, as far as kelpies are concerned, is people buy them believing the hype that they're just like collies but tougher because of dingo blood. They may be tough but that's just as likely to be due to good quality collies being used in the first place (though recent DNA evidence has proved that there is dingo blood in modern kelpies). However, like collies they can be very sensitive and take offence easily if bullied or pushed or...sin of sins...told what to do when they already know what they're doing. :D In the early days, before I understood them as well as I do now, Rusty used to look at me sometimes with an expression that seemed to say, "Yes, I know what I'm doing, now leave me alone to get on with it."

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

temporary-8.jpg

Well, that's weird! All those times I tried to put a photo of Noggin up as a pup and nothing happened and I've just tried again out of the blue and it worked.

He's about ten months old in this photo; 22" and 40lbs. I did have him posed perfectly but then he noticed a herd of longhorn cattle in the field behind me.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3