Lost :(

Hey everyone. Lost my ferret yesterday afternoon down a small 4 holer. Heard a lot of rumbling underground then it all stopped for a bit. Waited for about an hour, by this time it was starting to get dark, heard a bit more rumbling and a rabbit bolted out, I was expecting the ferret to follow, but nothing. Plugged up all the holes and left some of his bedding in the hole, went back this morning and the bedding was gone, so I'm presuming he dragged it down the hole :( tried smoking him out, still nothing. We put a bit of wire down the holes just to see if we could feel the blanket or anything but nothing, turns out it was a fairly deep hole, and a bit bigger than I thought for a 4 holer. Plugged up all the holes again, and I'll go back for a look tommorow afternoon. Now I know that everyone's going to have there opinion on this, with me not using a locator. But at the moment, I don't really have the money to spend on a locator. But I'm hoping to get one now, as I've never had this problem before. I'm wondering whether he's gotten out when I'm not looking or something? And I'm not sure how long to keep looking for before giving up????

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't believe you tried smoking a ferret out? Countless times I've dug down to a ferret that's trapped behind a rabbit it's killed and can't get past, not being funny mate I always use locators but do

I wouldn't have gone out this time of year without a locator. The ferret has probably found a nest of young rabbits and it's self a feast and then a nap.

If I was you I would just keep scanning the area and hope for the best.

Was all holes covered up if not it will be long gone.

Atb in finding it

Hey mate. Its not the kitten season over here in Australia, so I don't think there'll be any problems with that. ATB

Sorry pal my fault.

Just keep scanning the area and maybe put some mink type traps around. Hope you find it pal

Not a problem mate, you weren't to know. I've just been scanning the area and having a look each morning and afternoon.

As someone already said, baited mink trap and just check it hasn't dug out where you blocked the burrows, leave a bit of meat in the hole block it up and if it's gone try digging if possible, leave your number with someone close by in case it goes for a nosey around peoples houses, hope you find it.

As someone already said, baited mink trap and just check it hasn't dug out where you blocked the burrows, leave a bit of meat in the hole block it up and if it's gone try digging if possible, leave your number with someone close by in case it goes for a nosey around peoples houses, hope you find it.

Thanks rabbit demon

Can't believe you tried smoking a ferret out? Countless times I've dug down to a ferret that's trapped behind a rabbit it's killed and can't get past, not being funny mate I always use locators but do you know how silly it seems to smoke a ferret then block holes? That's up there with some of the silliest things I've heard on here. Why don't you try and find someone in your area with a ferret and locator collar to come and help you try and find your ferret?

Edited by grant_c
  • Like 2

Its no going to be easy sitting and waiting but i put a ferret in a three holer and the collar went off the scale at 15 got her back a week later unless your going to trench the burrow theres no much else you can do

As a kid I tried smoking rabbits out, and believe me, it's hard work blowing smoke down a hole. Incidentally, I only ever bolted one, and that was only from a 2 or 3 hole burrow. In fact, without some kind of incendiary device (such as used with mole smokes) it's damn near impossible. I probably wouldn't worry too much about a bit of smoke in a deep warren, but do keep going back as often as you can. Rabbit Demon's right, leave a little meat at a couple of the entrances and see if it's gone the next time you visit. Make sure you keep all the holes well blocked up between visits. In the days before underground location technology everyone had this problem, and there are several ways of trying dealing with it. However, they were all time consuming, and aren't necessary these days. Save up for a locator. Good luck.

Can't believe you tried smoking a ferret out? Countless times I've dug down to a ferret that's trapped behind a rabbit it's killed and can't get past, not being funny mate I always use locators but do you know how silly it seems to smoke a ferret then block holes? That's up there with some of the silliest things I've heard on here. Why don't you try and find someone in your area with a ferret and locator collar to come and help you try and find your ferret?

Right mate. I'm from australia, and its extremely hard to get locators and long nets, and all the other crap you guys have over here. I don't know one person in my area that has a ferret locator. So what's that telling ya!!! I smoked the ferret, then left the holes opened while I waited for about an hour, and then blocked them again. I'm just trying to get my ferret out, not cause arguments.

If his stuck behind the rabbit, that doesn't explain why the bit of his beddings gone.

As a kid I tried smoking rabbits out, and believe me, it's hard work blowing smoke down a hole. Incidentally, I only ever bolted one, and that was only from a 2 or 3 hole burrow. In fact, without some kind of incendiary device (such as used with mole smokes) it's damn near impossible. I probably wouldn't worry too much about a bit of smoke in a deep warren, but do keep going back as often as you can. Rabbit Demon's right, leave a little meat at a couple of the entrances and see if it's gone the next time you visit. Make sure you keep all the holes well blocked up between visits. In the days before underground location technology everyone had this problem, and there are several ways of trying dealing with it. However, they were all time consuming, and aren't necessary these days. Save up for a locator. Good luck.

Thanks mate