Shooting Legally ?

Hi

I have been asked to shoot two canada geese at one of my permissions properties which is a residential hall where a dozen or so people live in seperate apartments, there is a lake out to one side of it where the geese reside and keep fowling the lawn etc. I have contacted BASC who have informed me that they can be shot out of season on a general licence for public health reasons. The lake is about thirty yards from the windows of the property, there is a small road along one side of the lake with about ten yards of lawn between it and the lake and there is a big lawn to the left and then twenty yards of trees and shrubbery along the far bank with a fishery on the other side of that.My initial thoughts were to shoot the geese with a 12g on the water and use my dog to retrieve them, but once I had a look at the lake I have refused to shoot these geese on account of the built up vacinity as I am under the impression you must be at least 50 yards from a public highway to discharge a firearm. I was just wondering if anyone has been asked to do a similar job or if anyone knows the law regarding this type of situation.

Hope I have explained this well enough any thoughts are welcome

Many thanks Joe

Its not 50 yards, its 50 feet from the centre of the highway which would include any public road, footpath, bridleway etc

Is the road a public road or a private driveway?

Even so, the 50 feet rule only applies if someone on that highway is interrupted, injured or endangered. Providing none of those happen, there is no offence.

You can shoot Canada gees outside of the wildfowl season for public health reasons and damage to crops or livestock feed.

Is there a safe backstop there somewhere, i.e. the banks of the lake or something similar? Does anyone you know have a rimfire rifle as I would suggest that would be easier and quieter.

The 50ft rule is pretty redundant these days and it is hard to think of when it could be used against a sensible shooter. As a gun owner you should know your law!

In your situation my main concern, apart from the obvious issues of safety, would be to make sure that the person asking me to shoot the geese has the proper legal authority to give that permission. That he owns the property "land owner / occupier" and also the lake and anywhere else that you need access with your gun. I would be concerned that there are no issues with the residents of what sounds a bit like an old peoples home or hall of residence. It would be a bit unfair if some poor old lady had named the birds and treated them as pets or a heroic anti takes photos out of a window overlooking the lake and makes a huge fuss about animal cruelty. If a firearm holder, is your ticket 'open' as it does not sound like the sort of place that would be approved if it is not.

Take care and be wise.

Hi

Thanks for the replies I do have a 22 rimfire but my licence isn't open yet

However I had concerns regarding richocet off the water. I have already refused to shoot

The geese but you have confirmed that I have made the correct decision thanks for your help

Joe

The onus is on you to know the Law and GL terms and comply with your FAC conditions.

Why are you concerned about a .22lr ricochet on water, a .22lr sub with a decent HP will do the job at sensible distances with the right placement, expand well and stop the goose without over penetrating, why would it ricochet?!

Who knows the actual specific details here but it sounds a quick and simple job, no quite so without an Open FAC perhaps.

Just the same, if in doubt, don't! :thumbs:

The 5 feet rule is more to just single out the idiots!

As stated above, it isn't a law that says you cannot! Just if it causes a danger which you wouldn't really know until you've taken the shot because it also would depend to a degree on the driver.

Also is there much noise difference from a 12 bore 50ft away than there is 200ft away? I doubt it really.

I've shot ducks a few times off a small pond that practically touches a road but its a very quiet road in the country with low hedges so I can see over the hedge that there is no cars on the whole road. However standing 50ft from a motorway is a bit different

A .22 sub HP will go right through a goose's head and carry on without hesitation ! Big wing bones and a thick breast muscle make body shots problematic.

I think the residents would be your biggest problem if you used a 12 gauge.

PS. You could always get in an Eastern European, they are pretty good at catching geese and swans on the quiet !! :boogy:

Early morning .22 sub from elevated position. Maybe a high seat or 4x4 roof?

That said, I agree with Deker, watch the legal implications. ie you need to be open if using FAC.

Alternative 2, would be borrow a 20 gauge hushpower. Again shoot at 1st light.

(They make 12's but they're supposed to be a lot more noisy. I'm going to hazard a guess with a 20 that you'll need quite large shot).

Found a video here. Great thing is with dialogue and the vehicle engine idling, there's some noise to compare it to although I can't comment if the video mic does any clipping to make it sound quieter than it is as I've never shot one.

I'd exercise caution though if shooting out of season. Be best to get the landowner to commission a report from Environmental Health,H&S advisor or a vet, to say the droppings are a health hazard to the old folk who sit on the grass by the lake. That way your back is (more) covered should the RSPCA get wind of it, as you have the danger posed by the droppings in writing should the matter go to Court.

Edited by Alsone

Not knowing exactly what the land looks like it's very difficult to give a judgement.

I wouldn't be using a shotgun because it's proximity to buildings and the noise issue.

For me it would be a moderated .22LR with subsonics where I have a solid backstop. I doubt they would be that difficult to get to within 30 yards of which is a comfortable distance where your view is unobstructed.

I would suggest there are three general licenses which would apply here, to kill them to prevent the spread of disease, to prevent the destruction of flora and fauna and to preserve public health and safety. There is no onus on anyone killing these birds to have anything in writing that they are causing the nuisance, the person killing must be satisfied that it has or is likely to occur and that other methods of control i.e. scaring, are not going to work.

The work can be carried out any "authorised person" which you are if you're acting on behalf of the landowner and have permission to shoot there from the person who owns the shooting rights.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx

A .22 sub HP will go right through a goose's head and carry on without hesitation ! Big wing bones and a thick breast muscle make body shots problematic.

I think the residents would be your biggest problem if you used a 12 gauge.

PS. You could always get in an Eastern European, they are pretty good at catching geese and swans on the quiet !! :boogy:

:hmm::thumbs:

Hence the wording of my post, I would not be looking at a head shot with a .22lr sub on water, appropriate distance/placement body shot is less problematic. Almost any .22lr round at almost any distance will go clean through a Canada head and carry on as a great lump for whatever distance, even more if you miss, it won't if you put it in the body, and you also have much less chance of missing. A few moments patience with a Canada will almost always present a suitable body shot for a .22lr.

Pest control on Canada geese is a job I commonly find well suited for the WMR with V-Max ammo, it penetrates wherever you want and they fall down. HMR is my tool of choice for head shots/birds required for the table. .22lr is for closer pest problems but does the job fine if used appropriately, and very rarely would I personally take a head shot with one.....and very rarely would I actually shoot one on the water either, but everyones situation is different! :thumbs:

This was around 80 yards with HMR, goose was sideways on and the round entered just behind the eye, immediate lights out, and whilst there was a decent size hole the other side only spent fragments continued.

post-10759-0-63974800-1398837749_thumb.jpg

:thumbs: