Yes PANTS, only good for mice at 5 yards, try a cornflake packet in your shed and you'll see how PANTS they really are.

The most likely 'proper' gun you'll find is a version of the bolt action BSA sportsman, they made them smoothbore, usually single shot only.

If it has a 5 shot magazine then its probably a rifle that has been bored smooth after market, (doesn't matter).

I've seen a few other makes that have been bored from rifles, but anyway all of them are no good at all, beware the barrel has to

be longer than 22" because its a shotgun and lots of rifles are not long enough to start with, I've seen bits of steel tube brazed on the muzzle end to

make them shotgun compliant.

The ammo you'll get these days most likely is CCI with the blue see-through plastic 'bullet' and you can see the shot inside,

these are not too hard to find, but if you find some buy a load.

Eley made a brass crimped shotshell, like a long 'blank', these are much better than the CCI (but still pants), I keep a look out

for these in dusty gunshop cupboards and buy them as my mate collects curious .22 ammo.

You can of course fire them through any .22 rimfire rifle, they won't cycle a semi, and remember to take off you moderator before

you fire any as the shot end up inside the baffles, or worse if the baffles are plastic they'll be wrecked.

Here endeth the 22 shotshell sermon.

AndyF

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

They're butterfly guns! I can't think of any situation where I'd prefer either 22 or 9mm over a 410 with a 2" cartridge.

Ohh I don't know mate anyone got one I can try :D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

b*****d! :laugh:

You are aware you've now just accepted the 'snipe with a garden gun' challenge as witnessed by THL?

I'm putting in for a variation for an 8 shot auto..... see if I can get my cartridge to kill ratio into three figures! LOL :icon_redface:

• Like 1

I have a couple of .22 shotguns and so do a few mates.

Ammo is easy to get and they are a great tool for the right job.

We started using them for indoor rats.

We had a load of small food stores and the rats were hammering them. But if u opened the door you couldnt get an airgun in quick enough and the .410 & 9mm was knocking holes in the bags, the roof sheets and anyhing else in the sheds.

.22 shotgun does a great job at 6-7 yards.

Edd

I have a couple of .22 shotguns and so do a few mates.

Ammo is easy to get and they are a great tool for the right job.

We started using them for indoor rats.

We had a load of small food stores and the rats were hammering them. But if u opened the door you couldnt get an airgun in quick enough and the .410 & 9mm was knocking holes in the bags, the roof sheets and anyhing else in the sheds.

.22 shotgun does a great job at 6-7 yards.

Edd

That's where they come in useful. I've also shot a couple of weasels that have been cornered. Safe and effective in some close up situations, but not much use for anything more than a few yards away. As you say, in grain stores, tool sheds etc, great for mice and rats when a more powerful round would be likely to cause damage. I believe that the 24 inch minimum barrel length doesn't apply to shotguns chambered for .22 rimfire either. That's probably because most of them are rifles with the rifling reamed out to make them smooth bores?