Few Pics For Pete

54 young so far and it's only the first round :D ,goes to show their happy and have all they need in life and the very best of luck with the others Taz, :victory: .

Crackers they are pete and lovely colours in those birds,quite tempted myself as it goes :laugh:

• Like 2

Fifty f**king Four young?! That's just f**king mental! :icon_eek::clapper:

I've been talking to a bloke just up the road from me. He's pretty f**king mental too, by all accounts! He offered me a pair of Meercats!!! €2,500? Or was it €3,500? Time ye get to talking That sort of money, it no longer matters, does it? :icon_eek:

Guy's on the level though. Has all the licensing in place. You want it? He'll get it. Had raccoons, last year. I briefly thought of an Armadillo. Then I got real! :rolleyes:

Settled for a no longer wanted, Common Snapping Turtle, next time one comes up. I had one, years ago. Been hankering for another for years now.

Anyway, obviously, I asked this guy about canaries. He's like, " Umm. I can do ye a snowy owl ....? " No, thanks. Just a canary.

" errr; How about a european eagle owl? Biggest f**kers there are ....? " No! F**king Canary! Just one poxy bird. To sit there and sing ....! .......... " Black swan ....? " :chair:

See? Just Im F**king Possible!!! This bloke can source ye a f**king cougar without breaking a sweat. But, a canary? Here in Leitrim?! Sharp intake of breath! :icon_eek: I told you it was mental here, didn't I?! :laugh:

Tell ye what though, Taz? I'm glad I'll be keeping my birds indoors here. Out of sight and under lock and key. They'll be the only such birds for many miles around.

Yes Gnasher they get sold,gifted and swapped but to be honest if your half sencible you'd have places lined up well before hand if your breeding numbers of birds like Taz is and there are the bird sales where it's easy enough to get a table to sell your surplus at as well.

• Like 1

a lot of mine will be gifted as not in it for the money also any bird that are past the sell by date will replaced with this years young but if the numbers keep rising ill be letting them have 2 rounds only then they will be split and early moulted also any bad rearers will be replaced

• Like 3

..... any bird that are past the sell by date will replaced with this years young .....

So; What is a canaries 'sell by date' ? I see very little mention of pre '13 birds being offered.

Won't really effect me as I neither aim to show, nor sell. I too just want to get these birds out there, so others can have the opportunity of enjoying them :)

Just curious. How long should anyone expect their pet canary to live for?

ive had some 6 year old pete but I find after 3 they don't fill as many eggs also don't rear as good also had many a young mother not rear young,leave eggs ,leave chicks they are the ones you don't need,as you spend time and effort,and I have about 3 pairs layed hollow eggs alredy and 4 pairs left the young so they will be swopped about next round to see if its the cocks or the hens but as you all know in this game not all will rear not all will fill eggs.Ive also had hens rear one year and the next year leave the young at days old

Yes Gnasher they get sold,gifted and swapped but to be honest if your half sencible you'd have places lined up well before hand if your breeding numbers of birds like Taz is and there are the bird sales where it's easy enough to get a table to sell your surplus at as well.

Right i see............bit of a predicament really i want to breed them but dont really know many other folk who keep them and i wouldnt want to flog them to local bird centres etc...............but then if you dont breed them it kind of defeats the object in keeping them....................suppose i could always build another aviary :whistling:

• Like 3

:icon_eek: Blimey! So, I s'pose, if ye trying to maintain a 'Line' or what ever, it must be a pretty intense business? Couple of 'bad seasons'. Spot of bad luck, or judgement, and all a man's ever worked for could slip through his fingers!

F**k That! Now I start to see why some of you guys have so many birds! I've seen pictures of entire bird rooms, crammed with identical looking Red Factors. I just sort of accepted, blindly, that there must be a reason for it.