Lancashire

DIDO.1

found hares dead in an area a couple of years ago, sent for tests and the conclusion was fluke. been asked to control some hares and would like to relocate rather than shoot. in lancashire. was going to buy a new long net as I gave mine away years ago but though someone in lancashire, with net or relevant hare netting experience would like to help out for the crack.

if not we will give it ago ourselves. if it works we might try netting some in a big hare area on east coast next year

found hares dead in an area a couple of years ago, sent for tests and the conclusion was fluke. been asked to control some hares and would like to relocate rather than shoot. in lancashire. was going to buy a new long net as I gave mine away years ago but though someone in lancashire, with net or relevant hare netting experience would like to help out for the crack.

if not we will give it ago ourselves. if it works we might try netting some in a big hare area on east coast next year

It's interesting that since the decline of the lapwing the incidence of liver fluke is a lot higher not only in sheep but in wild animals also.

TC

I personally would invest in a few gate or short long nets as these set in the right place will account for most of the captures , hares run the same route every time and if you know where they are youll score . when is this to take place ?

• Like 1

keep me informed lads.... ive got a load of gate nets and some where 100m of 5 inch longnets made for hares...but must stress some where.... and a good springer spaniel... gate net the spot up day or night and we will be cooking on gas...ive got a crate hear for them too

• Like 2

It's interesting that since the decline of the lapwing the incidence of liver fluke is a lot higher not only in sheep but in wild animals also.

TC

possibly the liver fluke is the cause of the lapwings demise?

Y.I.S Leeview

What makes you think the hares will settle where you release them? Lancs is pretty flat where the hare used to abound and bringing hares from east coast is rolling hills until you get down to Anglia, so a lot different terrain to what they were used to.

How many hares are you after relocating? more than 6 and gatenets wont be an option I've been netting hares when we have had up to 6X 100yds nets in a line, with 15 men to remove and box the hares, then theres the beaters, the more the merrier (had mornings out and all the kids in a village(well known coursing village)have been brought along complete with terriers,collies and mongrels) great craic preban.

transporting them you do need boxes to consider the hares welfare, these boxes would hold 4(occassionally 6) hares in individual compartments not just a box, with plenty of ventilation all round.

Y.I.S Leeview