Docking?

squab

i think spaniel types or their crosses can be a pain,as they are tail happy ,a lot of the time it happens inside their

kennels.used to have a mastiff that used to suffer because of wagging tail and hitting its tail against the run sides

Tails fine but my lads ears take some punishment but the other dogs clean him up.db34a8bb326b1bb0311913e03d5dbdca.jpg

my old lurcher has lost the ends of both ears over the years

The ends of his ears are starting to toughen up, but once bleeding and start shaking their head it sprays blood everywhere, stingers growing back now as well so does about an hours Michael Jackson dancing when he gets in.

In this pic he has two lines on his left eye which are now gone but must be close to taking an eye out as well.

73ae442062aef3d5647197c3ad1310dd.jpg

Tails fine but my lads ears take some punishment but the other dogs clean him up.db34a8bb326b1bb0311913e03d5dbdca.jpg

The ends of his ears are starting to toughen up, but once bleeding and start shaking their head it sprays blood everywhere, stingers growing back now as well so does about an hours Michael Jackson dancing when he gets in.

In this pic he has two lines on his left eye which are now gone but must be close to taking an eye out as well.

73ae442062aef3d5647197c3ad1310dd.jpg

here

post-896-0-20106800-1397491730_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-33180100-1397491733_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-77825200-1397491745_thumb.jpg

In this pic he has two lines on his left eye which are now gone but must be close to taking an eye out as well.73ae442062aef3d5647197c3ad1310dd.jpg

here

Has the eye healed now. See what you mean about the ears.

In this pic he has two lines on his left eye which are now gone but must be close to taking an eye out as well.73ae442062aef3d5647197c3ad1310dd.jpg

here

Has the eye healed now. See what you mean about the ears.

no the eye is scared and his ears are starting to look like his sires

I went through tail amputation as an adult (2 year old) with my cocker. If you find a sympathetic vet, explain that the tail gets injured (and take photos of the injury- I have tonnes if anyone's interested enough to want to see them...), they will perform the op no problem- my vets, being a mainly farm practice and hunting/shooting people themselves are very accomodating to working dogs. You will likely not get a say in how much they take off, and a vet experienced with doing it will go shorter than you'd probably want, in order to avoid it re-opening, getting infection, and having to re-operate, leaving your dog with a stump.

I must admit, my cocker's tail looks bloody daft now, it is too short for a traditional spaniel dock (again, I have tonnes of photos of it as it is now if anyone's interested), but it looks a damn sight better than the bald rat-tail it had before, and it's not getting hurt/nibbling it raw when it gets nettled on bare skin anymore.

Adult tail amputations are A NIGHTMARE to heal though- you MUST MUST MUST be absolutely OCD about hygeine, and not let the dog chew it WHATSOEVER, or it will bust the stitches and you'll end up back at the vets. An infection deep in the tail is no fun at all, as it enters the spine with frightening ease.

IMO whether it gets damaged or not is a lot to do with the action of the tail, so you'll get guaranteed trouble from a spaniel or a spaniel cross that throws to that side more as they have a lower, thrashing action (or they should do if the spaniel bit's any good- ask any trialling man what kind of action they like to see and how important it is!).

That's why beagles/terriers/beddies get away with more, their tail carriage and action is completely different.

• Like 3

I went through tail amputation as an adult (2 year old) with my cocker. If you find a sympathetic vet, explain that the tail gets injured (and take photos of the injury- I have tonnes if anyone's interested enough to want to see them...), they will perform the op no problem- my vets, being a mainly farm practice and hunting/shooting people themselves are very accomodating to working dogs. You will likely not get a say in how much they take off, and a vet experienced with doing it will go shorter than you'd probably want, in order to avoid it re-opening, getting infection, and having to re-operate, leaving your dog with a stump.

I must admit, my cocker's tail looks bloody daft now, it is too short for a traditional spaniel dock (again, I have tonnes of photos of it as it is now if anyone's interested), but it looks a damn sight better than the bald rat-tail it had before, and it's not getting hurt/nibbling it raw when it gets nettled on bare skin anymore.

Adult tail amputations are A NIGHTMARE to heal though- you MUST MUST MUST be absolutely OCD about hygeine, and not let the dog chew it WHATSOEVER, or it will bust the stitches and you'll end up back at the vets. An infection deep in the tail is no fun at all, as it enters the spine with frightening ease.

IMO whether it gets damaged or not is a lot to do with the action of the tail, so you'll get guaranteed trouble from a spaniel or a spaniel cross that throws to that side more as they have a lower, thrashing action (or they should do if the spaniel bit's any good- ask any trialling man what kind of action they like to see and how important it is!).

That's why beagles/terriers/beddies get away with more, their tail carriage and action is completely different.

That's the key finding a decent vet,mine is and done my mates springer after injury.

My dropper(Setter x Springer) had to have the tail docked at 1 and 1/2

Completely destroyed it every time we were out and because he is such a big dog the vet said it was amputating a limb rather then a tail.

The people who enforced this regulation do not have a clue and instead of preventing 'cruelty' they are enforcing it...P!*KS

Edited by ijf

I have never had a terrier that isn't docked before, but it did cross my mind after buying this one that isn't docked.

My fault for buying her and I have taken the view that I will cross that bridge when I find problems.

Must admit I do look at her and think she would look a damn sight better docked.

• Like 1