out and about

was out last night with a well know scotish netrigger for a go with the longnets. Our weopons of choice were 2x 50yrd nets, 1 rigged in 6z and one in 4z, both rigged on end pins. We also had a 100yrd net rigged in 4z in the basket system

longnetting001.jpg

the reason we were using both types of systems was for me to show the longnet basket in use and for him to see first hand how they work, ie: the setting and rigging of a fixed net. I was also able to witness for myself another netter at work with the end pins, something i havnt seen since i was a child. sadly tomany hopefulls enter longnetting with the idea that buying the gear will give them some the skills to use what is after all a potentially awkward piece of kit.

the wind was very blustery and coming from a direction that gave us the chance to work a few drops locally without the need for travel. The drops i was going to show my new found netting partner are well know drops to local lampers so sometimes it cane be a little bit of a first come first serve kind of thing. on the first drop ran out the basket net,100yrds and was then able to work as a pegging partner for my guest, something i havt done in all my years as a long netter. berfore we started this drop i was told a few simple tips on how best to help him rather than hinder him. When working the tradittionaly rigged nets i work alone, pegging as i go so was pleased to witness what my netting would and could be like if i could find a relieable partner to my nights out.

for those of you who value speed over skill and stealth and say a basket system is faster than the trad set net should think again. What i witnessed on that first drop as a pegger was something to behold. silent, swift and well practised hands soon had the net set. Of course team work is vital to succsess and seeing as this was the first time we had worked our nets together i was pleasntly pleased with how it went. Sadly the drop gave up no rabbits so it was onto the next drop on a well know golf course. Agin i was to use the basket as my guest watched, keen to learn a method he has of yet to use. Again the golf course is a place where most who would lamp the first drop would then go onto. Again the second drop gave up no rabbits but still i was gaining a good insight into another mans way of doing things. a little further along the golf course and another drop was done, again 150yrds in all as were the first 2 drops. A bit diserpointingly only 2 rabbits came to our nets but again it is my view a local lamper had beat us to it. As the host, i was feeling a little bit stupid at my failure to put my guest onto some suffolk rabbits but, like he said, its about being out there and doing it.

on the forth and last drop of the night we tryed our hand at a group of football piches that make up a park. these are at the top of the golf course but hopefully our lamping rival would have choosen caution, as the grey supports on the goal posts have injured many a lamping lurcher over the last 20 yrs that i have worked these drops. Again the basket was mine and the trad rigged net was his. A smooth silent drop and a long outward bound walk had the wind off our backs and pushing any feeding rabbits towards our nets. On the walk in a squeal was given and this had my hart beating i can tell you. its this excitement that has me out again and again when i could be at home with a beer and the tv.

At the net we had 9 nice healthy rabbits, nicely enmeshed in both 4z and 6z, traditional and basket rigged nets proving both weights and types of nets will work just as well as each other.

longnetting004.jpg

ok, not the biggest bag in the world comparred with some but that was just an added bonus. It was about learning new ways to old skills, it was about being part of that night time world than many never see. But most importantly it was about being in good company living the lifestyle we choose. :thumbs:

Great post Mole catcher, and well done both of you. I, like you mole catcher have never worked traditional with a pegger and runner but can see how a well versed pair could get nets set pronto like.Come to think of it...I feel sorry for those Suffolk rabbits... myxi...lampers and on top of all that two fellas that know their game hitting them with nets. Look forward to hearing in more detail about the nights adventures.

Regards Mapreader

Great post asusual, glad to hear you both had a good evening, until a couple of weeks ago could have given you both an opportunity to see what your individual methods can do, alas, we have serious mixy, have not seen it like this for a long time, gone from fields running with rabbits to almost empty ones with a few pathetic dying ones.

so it was onto the next drop on a well know golf course. Agin i was to use the basket as my guest watched, keen to learn a method he has of yet to use. Again the golf course is a place where most who would lamp the first drop would then go onto. Again the second drop gave up no rabbits but still i was gaining a good insight into another mans way of doing things. a little further along the golf course and another drop was done, again 150yrds in all as were the first 2 drops. A bit diserpointingly only 2 rabbits came to our nets but again it is my view a local lamper had beat us to it.

Are you still going there :doh: It's no wonder its getting a little 'light' on the coney front - I should think everyone in the area uses that place and have done for years :D

I'll speak to my landowner tonight and get you some proper sport 8)

Nice read anyway :thumbs:

Hello mr. mole

good post as always...

I would just like to say it was not me on the golf course....

I have not been there for ages.. ever since the goal posts were put up a bit further up :thumbs:

I bet that longneting game is really good :( never tired it on me own...

All the best

respectfully yours

Mr. E

Just a few words here to thank Molcatcher and his Family for a great week, the hospitality was second to none,, it was a dam shame that the week went in so quickly.. It was good to see at first hand the basket method being put to use,, very smooth i may add, :thumbs: ,, Molecatcher sure knows his stuff :notworthy: .

On the day before our departure we were out setting the mole traps on one of the big Sporting Estates that Molcatcher works when this Gent of a Man handed me a departing gift,, a quality knife boxed and all with the following poem..

FRIENDS IN SPORT

From hill to shore or Mountain moor,

on windy nights with plovers flight.

With rod and line or nets in hand

we spend our days in this fair land .

The beauty we see will never cease,

for this is how we take our peace .

We wander hill and valley deep,

we even do this in our sleep .

For others wonder at our ways ,

not knowing why these are our days .

Along the way some come and go ,