New Member Need Abit Of Help

Doing daytime work can sometimes affect

Lamping work if recall isn't spot on

As they get used to using their nose

As soon as they realise they will see more ,get more runs the penny should drop.

I usually get them lamping first,as that's what I do mostly ,but their recall needs to be spot on ,work on it

Will come right with effort

Edited by roybo

10 months old, out on the lamp 3 times and caught nothing. You need to give pups rabbits you's practically catch, nice easy ones. Don't slip the dog if you have any doubt it won't catch it. If the rabbits are hard to catch, stick to ferreted ones for now to boost its confidence. If you keep blanking on the lamp your going to create more problems than it hunting up mate.

I tend to find that starting a dog this time of year is very difficult to find stupid rabbits they all seem to be lamp shy and they don't sit around for very long and they know where they are going so it doesn't give the pup the best chance, try going early season before the rabbits know what a lamp is although I am sure it's bred in to them now! Lol

As baw has said, plus she is still young so don't expect too much from her yet, there is plenty of time to get her right on the lamp. It is all to easy to be a bit over zealous trying to do too much too soon, let it be a pup and maybe leave her off the lamp for the summer?

• Like 2

Hiya, I totally agree with what everyone has said above, and everyone has had their own experience I had the same problem start of last hunting season, was about end of summer when started taking him out and the heartbreak he caused when wouldn't come back, turning off lamp helped and I also had an older dog on the lead beside me, young dog started coming back to him, it took a good few night before he came straight back every time, he was quite a highly strung dog so the first run out of the night he liked to be cheeky but we got there in the end, time and patience with a young dog and be careful not to sour her. Hope this helps a little :)

I never take a youngster lamping until its recall is 100%. And I always teach recall both to spoken and whistle command. Take the pup in the daytime to areas where there are rabbit holes and let it sniff and mark holes. Praise it then recall it on the whistle. If it's food orientated give it a treat as soon as it comes back to you. Keep practising that in the day till it'll immediately leave a hole it's marking and come straight back to you on the whistle.

Then you're ready to try on the lamp. As soon as it's lost a rabbit turn the beam off and immediately give the whistle recall. What I do is if the dog doesn't come straight back is verbally bollock it. You'll alert every rabbit within earshot but I'd rather lose the chance of another run in that field for the sake of teaching good habits.

• Like 3

some good advice here. there are two points that strike me; first remember that it is a pup, and a pup with a lot of sighthound blood at that, so may take quite some time to mature. be patient! second, work on recall. i practically brainwash my dogs to come when called, even the adults i call them over every now and then, praise, then let them go again (NOT put lead on straight away!). practice when the pup is near to you, calm, and not concentrating on anything else. requires time, work and efort, but keep going - you will get out what you put in!! good luck

• Like 1

thanks for the reply guys haven't been able to get on the laptop,haven't took her out since just working on recall ect,she gets distracted very easy and will only come back/close to me if i walk the opposite way from her and call,im going to get a long line and try that